a red electrique.. electrolyte warning lamp question

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
willfromsussex

a red electrique.. electrolyte warning lamp question

Postby willfromsussex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:54 am

Just bought ANOTHER electrique, which I saw sitting around doing nothing . 30,000 miles.

It was completely flat. I have fitted a new aux battery and put the van on charge. To my delight the thing has come to life and I've been on a 12 mile test drive and it hasn't gone into econo mode or anything.

However the electrolyte warning lamp has come on. Odd thing is it is on continuously, even with the van turned off, key out etc. Is this normal for this lamp?

My white electrique.. i've not even seen this lamp come on with the ignition on, is it meant to light up to test itself? Or has it just never been seen because the electrolyte is fine on that one?

Another thing is the electronics check light also came on for a few miles but then went out, the one with the diode symbol on.

UPDATE. I disconnected the batteries and unplugged the long multiplug on the controller unit, it was damp inside. Dried out with compressed air , then hair dryer and van seems better now. Electrolyte lamp now turns off when i turn the key off.

Flying John
Site Staff

Re: a red electrique.. electrolyte warning lamp question

Postby Flying John » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:32 pm

I would do a maint charge and watering asap Will.

How much was it ?

harry morris

Postby harry morris » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:44 pm

And don't worry about the electrical warning light to your right these are a pain supposed to be a lot of carbon build up in the motor, mines been on for the past 5 years despite the motor being blasted out with compressed air, cheers Harry Morris.

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:34 pm

As Harry says -- ignore the other one. I ended up taking the bulb out

highend

Postby highend » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:40 pm

yeah, ignore all errors, or fix them using hammer and rope and end up with broken Berlingo half year later.
really great ideas.....

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:44 pm

NO - dont ignore the errors - except this one. It is a permanent error that is caused by there being a leakage detected between HV and the vehicle chassis. Only goes when you get rid of all those carbon particles from the brushes embedded in the motor windings and all those other little places that not even a good lager can reach -so good luck with that. I have know times when it first happens on newish, low mileage ones that a clean and compressed air through the motor can make it go off or be able to reset - but dont hold your breath.

So as we said ignore this one, I did 40,000miles+ with it on and its still going strong.

The other light is more important and so the advice still stands, maint charge and water asap, dont drive it.

John

willfromsussex

Postby willfromsussex » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Thanks. The diode warning light hasn't come on again. Have parked it up for now, awaiting the loan/rental of an EVlite unit (unless anyon's selling one!) Yes the van was a lot cheaper than my white one, much more basic though. Its the early style front, and also has manual windows, no central locking, and several other omissions such as 3rd brake light, pin switches on the cargo doors and heated door mirrors. Well.. fewer electrics on a French car must be a good thing right? :)

I have checked the brushes (well, I checked the bottom one) and about 5mm left to the wear line. Motor pretty clean inside. Paintwork has peeling lacquer , not even sure why a solid red would have a lacquer over it! Otherwise very good bodywork so well worth fixing this thing up.
Managed to get the radio code for it via a helpful chap on a car audio forum, just had to give him the serial number of the radio.

I noticed this van has C rated tyres ,whereas my other one has normal car tyres. Maybe it is also meant to have C tyres.

highend

Postby highend » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:44 am

sent you priv, I have evlite for sale.

willfromsussex

Postby willfromsussex » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:20 am

THankyou. Am i right in saying theres more than one type of EVlite, and one has more functions anyone?

Page 1

Postby Page 1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi all,

I purchased a 2001 Berlingo van on eBay a few months ago for £1400 , in full running order with 12 months MOT and 2 sets of keys.
Drives ok and no warning or error lights on dash yet.
I did have to replace the 4 motor brushes a couple of weeks ago as she broke down on me and after a tow home I instpected the brushes and 2 had all but disintergrated and the other 2 only have few mm left at best. £50 for a new set delivered so not too expensive .
The van will do about 20 miles on a full charge 100% ( I do live in Devon in a very hilly area so I guess not too bad , but lately she has only been charging to about 85% or so. Do I need to balance or recalibrate batteries or something or is it just the colder weather that's causing this ? I do have an EV-LITE thingy but not too sure what to do with it .

Great little van , forgot to say that she has 39k miles on the clock.

Many thanks,

Page 1.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”