Photos of running CF electric vans here in the U.S.

Do you own or run a Bedford CF Electric then this is the place for you to discuss it here.
Griffon

Postby Griffon » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:45 am

Here are links containing a couple photos of Bedford CF Electrics (aka Griffons) on the road here in the U.S.

The first one is mine.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jfletcher/Griffon_1.JPG

The second belongs to John Davis, a member of the Humbolt County EV Association.

http://www.heva.org/index.php?members=index

Anyway, just thought I'd post something in this forum, as it looks like it's been dead for a while.

- John N3NFO

MB

Postby MB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:53 pm

It's good to see these vans still around and still working after all these years. For a large electric van with a decent payload, it is still difficult to beat the good old CF electric even today - sure, todays vans are infinately better, but they're infinitely more expensive as well.

I think the spiritual successor to the CF will arrive in the next few months - a reasonably priced large van with a decent payload and a decent range. It's British designed and you'll get to see details in the next issue of Plugged In.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Dunno how I missed your post John :oops: only noticed it cos MB posted.

John contacted me via my bedford website before Christmas and I pointed him in our direction here, as I know there are a couple of folk who have either owned or driven CF's :wink:

As you say MB, 30yrs on and CF still is hard to beat for size, drivability and just normality all round. I drove them when they first came out and they where great and only let down by idiot drivers :cry:

It will be interesting to see how many berlingos will still be going after 30yrs :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Griffon

Postby Griffon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks, Chris. Better late than never!

LATEST NEWS on THE GRIFFON:

Drove her to work for the first time today. Don't get too excited - it's only a little over a mile from my house, and at speeds no greater than 25 mph (40 km/hr). But so far, so good!

I've got an ammeter in series with the motor controller, using a shunt in the SIM box and a meter mounted on the dashboard. I'm making mental notes of the current consumption during different driving conditions, and I'll probably have some questions for the CF owners and former owners in this forum about what I should be seeing.

Yes, I do like the "maintainable" aspects of the early 1980s technology drive system. Might be more challenging to maintain today's technology 25-30 years from now.

I'm surely going to have plenty of questions for this forum in the coming weeks as I drive this van more.

- John

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Nice one, I cant remember if your ones still running on the orginal batteries or not John ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Griffon

Postby Griffon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:38 am

Original Chloride batteries are long gone. It is now running on a set of 36 US Battery US-2000s. These are basically standard 200AH golf car batteries.

I'm going to post a question about a problem I had while driving the Griffon today, but I'm going to start a new thread in the Bedford CF forum as this problem has nothing to do with photos.

- John

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:46 pm

Mine had the original batterys taken out years ago and I ran on 37 UPS sealed Yuasa's. Gave me good range 40+ miles, and easy charging that coped well with overcharge.

I used a hall effect current sensor in the battery cable and a voltmeter across the supply to minitor the pack.

Was very impressed but had to let her go when I got my Berlingo.

Looking forward to seeing the next good EV on the British market but I think price will leave us out in the cold for a few years yet.

Griffon

Postby Griffon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:37 am

Glad to hear you had good luck with the sealed gel cell batteries.

I'm seriously thinking about replacing the current set of flooded batteries with Concorde Lifeline brand sealed 220 Ah AGM units. It would eliminate the need for a watering system, and would prevent the underside of my van from being subjected to acid mist every time I charge. There are brake lines and cables under there --and the tops of the batteries are very close to these components. Doesn't really give me a good feeling in the long term. The original Chloride watering system vented out under the hood, but that system is long gone from my van and the current watering system just vents out the tops of the cells as usual.

Downside of the Concorde batteries -- a set of 36 might set me back $10,000. (Ouch!)

If anyone has any suggestions or wisdom to share, I'm listening...

- John

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:12 am

Well mine were YUASA AGMs that were fitted as standard to Uninteruptable power supply systems. These batteries were changed every 3 years in the UPS backups for computer installations and they may have been kept float charged for the entire time without being used. See if you can find a company that deals with these computer backup power systems they are sure to sell you some if they can get a little better than scrap price for them.

John

Return to “Bedford CF Electric”