thinking about doing a conversion

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
mab

thinking about doing a conversion

Postby mab » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:33 am

I was considering some possibilities for an ICE conversion to EV / hybrid and would like to ask peoples thoughts on this:-

I was thinking of converting a Renault Extra small van (cos' that's what I've got). I also want to do it as cheaply as posible.

What's the best strategy for 'designing' a conversion? - assuming I've already decided what base vehicle to use and Lead acid battery (cost considerations), how do you decide what motor & controller to use?

Just as a rough & ready estimate, if I put in a Leadacid 120v 160Ah pack (about 700kg?) what sort of range and practical top speed could I expect (by practical I mean the speed I could do on a dual carriageway without excessive battery drain, as opposed to flat-out top speed)?

I note that EV conversions seem to use a wide range of voltages. In the above example would there be any advantages in going for a higher voltage, lower Ah setup than above (can use thinner cables for e.g), or vica-versa? Or is voltage determined purely on which motor/controller setup you choose?

thanks
mab

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:27 am

Hi Mab

Renault Extra Van seems like a good-a-choice as any. Its small, has a large load bay for easy packaging of batteries, and you own it already!

Since its a commercial vehicle you will not need to MOT it, but obviously it should be road worthy.

With regards to controller and charger, its worth speaking to Electrofit Zapi, they will be able to supply them to your spec.

The motor is a difficult one; I had a bit of concern trying to get one 'cheap'. AVT in Somerset supply Advanced DC motors (see EValbum.com for to see what motors people use), but they are quite expensive, you can buy direct from the USA, though. I'm still running on a forklift motor because I don't want to pay a huge amount for a new one.

From my experience at 96v 110Ah, I can cruise at 37 - 40mph with out excessive drain (I am still logging current draw), and a top speed of 62mph.

The range and speed you want dictate the battery Voltage and Capacity, which in turn dictate what motor and controller you need.

With regards to a cheap build, and I hate to bring bad news, but I don't think its possible to do it for less than £2500 at the very least.

Motor £800
Controller £700
Charger £500
Batteries £40 each for cheap ones £600
Contactors, Wire, Lugs £200

Plus another £200 for heater and relays and bits and bobs

Hope this helps.
Where abouts in the country are you?

Best regards

Christopher

mab

conversion

Postby mab » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:51 am

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply.

The motor's the question: what power do I need? ICE power rating is it's abs max output, so matching this would be overkill, but what power should I aim for for a vehicle of this size? (assuming the battery weight I specified previously)
Then there's efficiency - is there much difference between AC & DC (or between a permanenet magnet motor and a series wound?)? Are we talking a few % or 10's of % ?

I assume the cheapest motors are the least efficient?

A cruising speed of 45mph is acceptable - using your figures for a 96v 110ah system, I shouldn't have a problem with speed. Looking at your post you can get 25miles range?

I can probably make my own charger (was planning (long term) to use alternative energy sources), but would need to buy the motor, controller, batteries & bits'n'bobs.

At the moment I'm in Brighton (I was planning on coming to say hello to the London-Brighton run people when they get here), though I may soon be moving to the continent. I was thinking of doing the conversion after I move for obvious reasons.

cheers
mab

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi Mab

Regarding what power you need the best thing to do is look on EValbum.com and see what everyone else used, i really do not know enough to give a succinct answer. Check out their spec, range, and top speed.
Apart for Paul (EVguru) its all I had to go on when initially planning mine. It really is a great source of information.

I think my range to 10% DOD will be 35 - 40 miles (based on the runs I have done and the data I have), but I never intend to go that far on one charge.

In your van you have the capacity for a lot of batteries, so your range can be quite good as you can just double up.

Hope this helps

Christipher

Return to “Conversions”