MX-5 Conversion

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
NickJ

MX-5 Conversion

Postby NickJ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:04 am

I am planning the conversion of a Mazda MX-5 to electric drive over the next year or two.

My reasons for the choice are the simplicity of transmission (rear wheel drive + propshaft) and the relatively light weight as well as quite a lot of bonnet space.

I am aiming for a fairly high voltage drive (300v) with an AC motor, currently considering motor and controller from MES-DEA. Ande either LiFePO4 cells or a Zebra battery

The eventual aim is for a vehicle with a 75-80 mile range min with good performance over quite hilly terrain.

A lot to do and I would gratefully receive any advice comments and thoughts (including "you must be mad" ones :D )

Nick

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:36 pm

I thought you had just bought an Insight ;) You won't need an EV when I get my PHEV Insight conversion kit up and running!! :lol:

By the way you must be mad! But back to the MX5

Curtis 80V 300-400A AC controller is well respected.
And a bit safer to work with than a HV system :shock:

A decent set of 200ah-400ah Lifepo4 cells and you are laughing.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

NickJ

Postby NickJ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:38 pm

The lower voltage option with a Curtis controller is also on the list, and I have got a good few prices on suitable motors there too. I am just looking at the various possibilities at the moment and I agree about the HV safety issues. The MES DEA package looks good for a road vehicle as it would seem from the information supplied that this is its primary target market. The cost and performance of various systems is currently "in the air"

Also been looking at the P&G Sigmadrive AC Controller as alternative to the Curtis if anyone has any experience.

I am watching progress on the BMS and LiFePO4 cells for your insight with interest! I may well be an early customer for the kit if it all works :D

My madness is a common topic of conversation around here :lol:

Return to “Conversions”