Are milk float motors any good?

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
Rory166

Are milk float motors any good?

Postby Rory166 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:37 pm

I am thinking about converting my Shogun Sport as the tax is high and I want a good towing vehicle. I have got a few Milk float type motors in stock including one from an electric lorry. Past reports seem to indicate that Milk float motors are not very satisfactory but I am not sure why this is. The limited speed may be a factor. As the Shogun has a gearbox it may not be such a problem. The motors are quite large which I assume gives them good torque. I think regeneration will be very desirable.

PS Looking at old threads I see that milk float motors are only rated at 7HP. This need not mean that it cannot produce more for shorter duration than the 1 hour rating. The materials may not have as high a temperature rating as a more modern motor. The efficiency of the motor will determine how much heat is dissipated.
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

skooler

Re: Are milk float motors any good?

Postby skooler » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Rory166 wrote:I am thinking about converting my Shogun Sport as the tax is high and I want a good towing vehicle. I have got a few Milk float type motors in stock including one from an electric lorry. Past reports seem to indicate that Milk float motors are not very satisfactory but I am not sure why this is. The limited speed may be a factor. As the Shogun has a gearbox it may not be such a problem. The motors are quite large which I assume gives them good torque. I think regeneration will be very desirable.

PS Looking at old threads I see that milk float motors are only rated at 7HP. This need not mean that it cannot produce more for shorter duration than the 1 hour rating. The materials may not have as high a temperature rating as a more modern motor. The efficiency of the motor will determine how much heat is dissipated.

My original RX8 motor was from a 1974 Morrison milkfloat and rated at 11KW. It was great with lead but died within weeks of upgrading to lithium.

Also bare in mind that the insulation will have broken down on an older motor and will likely need re-varnishing / rebuilding.

I'd just get a Warp/ Kostov / HPEVS and let the problem go away!

Finally, regen with series DC is much more difficult and supposedly less efficient than AC.
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Return to “Conversions”