Been busy with wood

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
floydster
Site Staff

Been busy with wood

Postby floydster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:21 pm

Just had a new wood burner installed (after having 400L of kero nicked) and can't say how plaesed I am! It's connected to my hot water system which is also heated from solar and it's just the biz!

Two nine inch logs managed to heat my hot water tank to 72C.

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

qdos

Re: Been busy with wood

Postby qdos » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:02 am

floydster wrote:Two nine inch logs managed to heat my hot water tank to 72C.

How much water? That sounds impressive

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:48 am

I have been using a Wood burner and back boiler for over 10 years to heat my 4 bed house. Its not the hottest of temperatures but its pleasant.
We get through about 4.5 tonnes of wood for the whole winter. In the past this has largely been waste from a company that makes wooden windows.
This year is being a bit more challenging, but using my Blingo to collect the wood makes even better sense.

I built my chimney from scratch with a new part of the house and used special pummice based liners. They work very well. Never just let it smoulder away, the deposits in the chimney will increase rapidly. By running very hot to get the heat from the system, we run very cleanly and probably get about a half bucket of soot every two years from the chimney.

I also have mine linked into a Propane boiler (dont use it much) so I can just walk in an turn it on or wake up to a warm house if needed. The wood burner has a simple thermostat and relay system that shuts the gas boiler down and turns on the wood burner pump. (A few non return valves make this all work)

I have never bothered to hear the water using the wood burner, as I also have an Aga that does this in the winter, and use economy 7 in the summer.

The 2 logs to heat the tank sound impressive.

Grumpy-b

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:The 2 logs to heat the tank sound impressive.

Ah he didn't say how much water it was though :wink:

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:15 pm

qdos wrote:Ah he didn't say how much water it was though :wink:

Don't know how many gallons but the tank is 2m high and 40cm diameter, remember it had some help from my solar.

Here's some pictures from the installation: http://community.webshots.com/album/564801296imHWbX

And for anyone who hasn't seen them:

My solar hot water: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... 1090WUrBGI

and PV garage: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... 0387MVdVcw

Floydster

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:28 pm

Excellent stuff ! with gas prices just shot up I can seem more and more people going back to this Only problem is not many people have a forrest on their doorstep

Fortunately I already have a log burner in my house which I do use now and then when it gets really cold but to be honest i've learnt to just wear a pullover and that works a treat most of the time. It's surprising how you can get used to temperatures I barely have any heating on at all for 90% of the year but then I am down on the South Coast

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:36 pm

qdos wrote:Excellent stuff ! with gas prices just shot up I can seem more and more people going back to this Only problem is not many people have a forrest on their doorstep

Fortunately I already have a log burner in my house which I do use now and then when it gets really cold but to be honest i've learnt to just wear a pullover and that works a treat most of the time. It's surprising how you can get used to temperatures I barely have any heating on at all for 90% of the year but then I am down on the South Coast

My local wood supplier is out of wood due to so many folk going back to solid fuel.

The weather does get pretty bad here, most trees lean east and my VX220 was totally covered by snow one morning when it was raining 10 miles away.

Suppose I'm OK for a while, I'm surrounded by 4000 acres of woodland and I've six cubic metres of chopped wood coming this weekend :lol:

Floydster

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 am

Nice work Floydee , well documented set of pics there 8)

floydster wrote: I've six cubic metres of chopped wood coming this weekend :lol:

Floydster

Let see them try and nick that lot eh :lol:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Home Energy Area”