Money no object

General BVS related area
Ellya

Money no object

Postby Ellya » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi,

If money were no object (always a good way to get the creative juices working!), would it be possible with current (no pun intended) technology to convert a production road car to something that would give 'fossil' cars a damn good run for their money on a circuit or rally stage?

I'm thinking Peugeot 207 to 308 size
0-60 <5 seconds
4 wheel drive
top speed 110-120 mph
range 50-100miles

If possible, what would be your recomended way to go?
Remember, being a motorsport application, space behind the front seats is free for batteries, as long at they can be worked around a rollcage.

If it is possible, would you know anyone/company in the UK that could build one or two given a fully prepared competition car(s) minus fossil engine(s)?

Cheers, Ellya

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:20 pm

Almost certainly, based on the performance that the Tesla Roadster already delivers. My guess is that the cost would be the same, or greater, than the cost of the Tesla, but as this is a "money no object" project it shouldn't be a problem.

The specs for the Tesla are:

0 - 60 in 3.9 seconds

Top speed 125mph (electronically limited)

Range ~220 miles (for road use)

Full details here: http://www.teslamotors.com/

The Tesla wouldn't be well-suited to conversion to a stage rally car, but the drive train, batteries etc could undoubtedly be adapted to a 4 WD system fitted to a light weight saloon style shell.

The Tesla uses a Lotus-derived body shell, so my guess is that they might be a good starting point for a project.

Jeremy

Ellya

Postby Ellya » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. It was the Tesla that enspired me to think that EV's are starting to come of age where they can seriously contend with the fossil cars. So I figured it would be a good time to get out there with something that doesn't look like a one-off special, just to show it's now possible to beat fossils cars on equal terms.

The trouble with this kind of project is that it's hard to find anyone with the necessary skills in the UK to build an electric competition car. If there is anyone out there who's up to the job or knows an 'adaptable' company doing EV conversions, I'm all ears!

Cheers, Ellya

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 pm

Rally car no but race car yes. We do intend to build a circuit car to basically show that electric vehicles don't have to be slow. The problem I think with a rally car though is the weight really they would have to be imensly strong. Mind you perhaps something like a Land Rover as an off road racer might be something to consider?

Return to “General”