where can a City El be bought?

Own the fantastic City El trike ?
This is an area for you to hang out in.
r255

where can a City El be bought?

Postby r255 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:56 am

And how much are they?

Also does it come apart in such a way as to fit in an estate car, i.e. no section longer then 2m?

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:44 pm

I believe the answer to these two questions are:
1) www.evfinder.com - There is an El for sale on ebay.de listed there, although the link is broken. The good link is
http://cgi.ebay.de/EL-Trans-MINI-EL-CIT ... 78585178QQ
which has 40 minutes to run!

and

2) No, the moulding is a one-piece affair and you will need a big transit or a trailer.
Tim Crumpton

MB

Postby MB » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:29 pm

It strikes me that there is a market for a vehicle like the City El... but not at the price it costs to make at present.

The quality of product from China is improving all the time, and they have the ability and technology to build something very similar at a fraction of the price.

A City El type vehicle with a total price of £1495 might sound like a pipe-dream but it is also probably achieveable. It would also be a good seller as a basic commuter vehicle as an alternative to a full-sized vehicle.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

r255

Postby r255 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:35 pm

If it was modified to be towable for moving long distances, all it really needs is a tow bracket and ability to connect lights to trailer lights plug. It is presumaply light enough to not have a nose weight of more than 50kg if the front wheel was lifted off the ground. Also allowing rear wheels to free wheel would be needed. Then could have normal car for long distance with lots of luggage.

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:31 am

The City El is long and thin and I would be worried about it rolling in a turn particularly when being towed. They've been known to roll under their own power.

However, I do like the idea as I infact used to do exactly this sort of thing myself here's a photo to show you how. It was ideal for going into town and parking up on the outskirts where there's free and easy parking and also for taking the car to an MOT very handy no need for a lift to fetch the car back

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:03 pm

London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

Return to “City El”