New Electric Scooter in the UK with lithium for under 1000 ?

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
piratg

New Electric Scooter in the UK with lithium for under 1000 ?

Postby piratg » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 pm

http://www.elecscoot.co.uk

I'm curious about thier claims , I just wondered on the off chance if
any one knows anything about them - or better yet ridden one of
these .

I notice they have lithium batteries as opposed to lead but still at
the same price of ego / eco scooter for under a grand .

microman

Postby microman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:27 pm

Prices from £1195. Lithium is extra - price on application. 6 weeks delivery (ie shipping from China).

They seem to be new. I might go up and have a look sometime - assuming that they actually have any.

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:26 pm

It's good to see an EV business setting up so close to home, but it really annoys me when I see such ridiculously exaggerated figures for performance and range. It will just backfire in the long run.

For example:

The top-of-the-range Elecscoot–4 (price £3495) "can reach speeds in excess of 60mph+ and can travel up to 90 miles per charge"
Motor: 3000W 60V Brushless Hub Motor
Battery: 60V-40 Ah Lithium battery

The figures just don't add up:

A 60V/40Ah battery will deliver 2400 Wh at 100% depth of discharge.

2400 Wh divided by 90 = 27 Wh/mile

The only way you could possibly get such a low figure is under test conditions on a perfectly flat track with speed limited to 20 mph. In real-life conditions you would be lucky to exceed 40 miles range if you were gentle with the throttle.

(Edited my calculated range figure to correct to my own miscalculation).
Last edited by MalcolmB on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MB

Postby MB » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 pm

It certainly sounds like they've believed everything the Chinese manufacturer has told them without bothering to test it for themselves.

I've swapped a couple of e-mails with the company, but haven't had enough dealings with them to know what they are like.

Personally, I'd recommend the Urban Mover scooters every time. They are head and shoulders above the other scooters I have seen:

www.UrbanMover.com
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Yes, the UrbanMover lithium model has a much more credible 50 mile maximum range and 42 mph top speed from a 2500 Wh pack and 3000 W motor.

PHEV

Postby PHEV » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:30 pm

I got to try one of these Urbanite+ scooters a little while ago. Was a nice ride, with 60v 40AH Thundersky LifePo4 cells. I hear a 5.5kw model is due in shortly. Nice price for the scooter I thought.
http://www.urbanitesandscooters.com
Victoria Atherstone is great to do business with too.

Steve
*Mazda MX-5, 300KW peak, 300v 20KW/h lipo pack, Soliton 1000A controller. 1100KG.
*Ducati SS twin Agni 80HP peak.
*Aprilia RS motorcycle, 500A controller, Cedric's AgniMotor, 96v 6kw/h LiPo pack, 130kg, 90mph.
www.jozztek.com

piratg

Postby piratg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:43 am

MalcolmB wrote:It's good to see an EV business setting up so close to home, but it really annoys me when I see such ridiculously exaggerated figures for performance and range. It will just backfire in the long run.

For example:

The top-of-the-range Elecscoot–4 (price £3495) "can reach speeds in excess of 60mph+ and can travel up to 90 miles per charge"
Motor: 3000W 60V Brushless Hub Motor
Battery: 60V-40 Ah Lithium battery

The figures just don't add up:

A 60V/40Ah battery will deliver 2400 Wh at 100% depth of discharge.

2400 Wh divided by 90 = 27 Wh/mile

The only way you could possibly get such a low figure is under test conditions on a perfectly flat track with speed limited to 20 mph. In real-life conditions you would be lucky to exceed 40 miles range if you were gentle with the throttle.

(Edited my calculated range figure to correct to my own miscalculation).

Thanks - I figured as much as though Im not really as versed as you in the technalities , it seemed far too good to be true.

Its a pity there wasnt something out there capable of that other than the overpriced vectrix .

piratg

Postby piratg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:02 am

PHEV wrote:I got to try one of these Urbanite+ scooters a little while ago. Was a nice ride, with 60v 40AH Thundersky LifePo4 cells. I hear a 5.5kw model is due in shortly. Nice price for the scooter I thought.
http://www.urbanitesandscooters.com
Victoria Atherstone is great to do business with too.

Steve

Well I dont about their bikes but their customer service going from what I hear doesnt encourage me.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electri ... rban+mover

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:56 pm

They seem rather overpriced to me. It's a bog standard electric scooter of much the same type as the Ego Electric or the Swei, yet they charge way over the odds. Egos are £1000, UK Ecos are £800, I got a second hand Swei for £550, and my local leccy bike dealer are doing a WOW! BIG SALE! on an ex-display bottom of range Lexola - for the WOW! £800 OFF! BIG SALE! price of... £1500? That's right, it was originallyl £2300, but because it's been sitting around gathering dust all year they're going to sell it for "only" half as much again as their nearest competitor.

This sort of money-grabbing imho is the reason electric vehicles don't take off. (along with the refusal of any of these companies to put electric scooters in the big motorcycle shops like Fowlers' etc, failure to deliver on-the-road scooters so that you can actually test them, insistence on distance selling so you can't get test rides, and so on and so on and so on)

So yes, I can believe that Lexola would treat a customer so badly that he'd go out and start himself a talkboard dedicated to complaints about the company, if only because they are also stupid enough to sell an electric scooter that only does 20 miles for such insanely inflated ripoff prices. It's just all so self-defeating...
34 Watt Hours per mile, or > 700 MPG. What, me, smug?

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”