Government to offer up to £5000 subsidy for buying electr

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
JonSpence

Postby JonSpence » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:38 am

ChrisB wrote:
microman wrote:Yeah whats the betting it will be £5 off a G-Wizz :cry:
ChrisB

Well I for one don't expect £2K off a G-Wizz. Despite MB's claim there has been a official statement, though that's not the same as saying that the details are fixed. One thing about that statement was that, as posted, it only covers cars. The other is that the "cars" would have to meet the safety regs.

I regard that as a direct implication that they won't subsidise the G-Wizz because it is a quadracycle.

I don't want to get into a debate about quadracycle safety, all I am saying is that I think that it is being used as a reason for the government not to subsidise one of the most popular electric "cars" on the road today.

We have yet to see if the likes of quiet car will get a subsidy, though I suspect that they won't either. Call me cynical but I would suspect that it will be aimed at the large car firms.

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 pm

SaintMaryUK wrote:New technologies are *always* expensive though.

Hardly new, just lack of development. Then again the ICE has hardly changed in the last 100 years.

First land speed record was set by an electric car in 1890 and Queen Victoria was a huge fan of EVs. The problem is that we based our economy on carbon, imagine what we'd be driving now if EV development had continued for the last 100 odd years. Have a search on Youtube for Rob Newman's History of Oil for a comical slant on the subject.

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:47 am

They are buying votes. There's an election coming. Funny how they have also muttered about this £2000 for scrapping your 9 year old car. Now how green is that THINK ABOUT IT

It's Spin Spin Spin, Read the details and you'll find there's a lot more in it and very little qualifies. I ought to be rejoicing as it potentially makes an EV I'm building saleable for about £500 but you can be your bottom dollar that it won't be possible to get the rebate on it.

Sorry to be such a sync but have a read of this article also from the BBC it absolutely blew me away that our government thinks this way I'ts purely motivated by money and nothing more nothing less 100% money.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7998182.stm

Previously the Department for Transport (DfT) had discouraged the systems which reduce fuel use, resulting in less tax being paid to the Treasury.

microman

Postby microman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:29 am

Yes, its spin, smoke and mirror stuff. And given that the likely next Chancellor has said he will reduce public spending I doubt anything will happen at all.

MB

Postby MB » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:39 am

I have created a petition on the Number 10 Downing Street web site requesting that these subsidies are brought forward to now, rather than way off in the future.

Have a look, and if it is something you can agree with, please sign it. It will only take a minute:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ElectricCar/
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

JonSpence

Postby JonSpence » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm

qdos wrote:Previously the Department for Transport (DfT) had discouraged the systems which reduce fuel use, resulting in less tax being paid to the Treasury.

Err, I came across that on another forum and got the inside gen from someone in the biz.

The BBC (and others) are misrepresenting quite a few things.

Here is a link to the thread

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mi ... sort=whole

DrFfybes on fool wrote:It all starts to become clear now.

The increase in fuel duty revenue considered in the old system is actually based on an increase in car use because there is a shiny new road to use, and has little/nothing at all to do with stop/starting the traffic in order to raise revenues. In fact the cost benefit from reduced journey times pushes the designer towards a smoother and faster flowing system.

I have to admit that I'm as cynical as you as regards government motives, bit it doesn't prevent others painting them black (on top of black) for their own reasons.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:19 pm

This is a cynical Government statement, in line with most of the others. Most New cars are not bought by individuals who may own a 9 year old car. Most are purchased by Companies / lease firms, at considerable diccounts. Why would the UK Government actively support the German, French and far east by subsidising their manufacturing. They wont. This worked in Germany and Frandce and Spain, because they make and buy their own cars and dont have the company car culture we do.
The only UK made cars ie MINI, Nissan, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin etc etc tend not to be bought by people with 9 year old cars, except perhaps Nissan.
This will probably be off the list price so you will probably be able to get a better deal by bargaining.
This will all have to be paid for and public services are already being cut. I work for a large Govt Quango and cash is already being cut and pretence it isnt being made all the time.

Be cynical. They are
Grunpy-b

qdos

Postby qdos » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Grumpy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can see through this 8U11 we're being fed by the government. Out of interest does anyone actually believe anything they say at number 10 these days?

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:43 pm

We don't Qdos :roll:
Proven 6kW Wind Turbine
3.8 kW Solar PV

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:19 pm

MB wrote:I have created a petition on the Number 10 Downing Street web site requesting that these subsidies are brought forward to now, rather than way off in the future.

Have a look, and if it is something you can agree with, please sign it. It will only take a minute:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ElectricCar/

mmmmm appears they want my e-mail address :?

Your email will not be published, and is collected only to confirm your account and to keep you informed of response to this petition.

Yeah like hell, how long before we hear that some daft No.10 bod leaves the usb stick on the train with everyones details on :roll:
So its a YES totally agree with you MB, but a NO to giving No10 my e-mail address :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Hot off the press....”