Electric Gentry

General BVS related area
dargles

Electric Gentry

Postby dargles » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi, Folks.
I've just had a 'phone call from a guy in Southampton. He bought the electric-powered Gentry (originally built in the 1980s, I believe), and has been undertaking a ground-up rebuild. However, he's moving in four weeks time and really wants to pass the project on to someone else before then.

I would *love* to take this on, but there's no way my wife would agree to it with the bedrooms still needing to be decorated, and we've no space, and...

Would anyone else be interested? It would be a fascinating challenge; the hardware is all there, except that all the electric motive stuff needs changing. It will need a modern motor, batteries and a suitable controller. That's not going to be cheap, depending on required performance and range.

BTW, the Gentry is a kit car that looks quite like a 1955 MG:
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/da/interes ... Gentry.jpg

Regards, David

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 pm

Wow what a fantastic project for someone

Sadly I'm fully stacked out with stuff so no chance here :cry:

What sort of money do you think they will be asking ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

dargles

Postby dargles » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:51 am

ChrisB wrote:What sort of money do you think they will be asking ?
ChrisB

Hi, Chris.
Here's a copy of Christian's contribution to the Gentry forum. I haven't asked him, but I'm sure he won't mind me copying it across. The last part deals with the asking price:

"Hi all,
The previous owner had built the car from scratch in the 80's, based on a Triumph Herald. the car was driving electrically, but unfortunately he could not finish it due to bad health. He chose the Gentry because he liked the shape and it had plenty of space for
batteries.

When I took the car on a few years ago, it had been standing for several years, which meant that the brakes and chassis were not in a good state. I have decided to do it properly and replace what needed replacing, before putting it on the road.

After separating body from chassis, the chassis has been cleaned, professionally welded (invoice available) and painted. Brake disks, pads, pipes are new, but have not been fitted (invoice available). There are many other new parts.

There is the old electric motor, although one would probably chose a more modern design, which now have efficiencies well in excess of 90% and are much smaller, so give more flexibility in location to achieve the perfect weight distribution.

Since having a baby, I haven't spent a single hour on the car and I don't expect to find much time in the next few years while he grows up. To avoid the car standing until it's falling to pieces again, I have now decided to sell it.

The person who takes the Gentry on will have a lot of fun, particularly as much of the really dirty work has been done. The beauty of an electric Gentry is that you can glide very quietly through your favourite national park and enjoy nature while driving a
lovely car.

And those of you asking for the price: I haven't thought about it, but you can expect it to be very reasonable, if it goes to a good home.

Regards,
Christian "

Regards, David

phil shepherdson

Electric Gentry car

Postby phil shepherdson » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:31 am

i can vouch for the Gentry being a lovely kitcar. When i was considering building a kit car in the early 80's, it was a toss up between a nostalgic old fashioned look or a futuristic one in the Midas. I chose Midas because of that and ease of finding its donor Mini bits.

dargles

Pictures of the Electric Gentry

Postby dargles » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi, Folks.
I visited Christian's Electric Gentry this morning and took a few pictures. I've also added a few notes, and posted it all on my website:

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/da/interest/fast/ElectricGentry/

It would be my dream project. Hmm... how about early retirement, and spending a cash retirement sum on it... 8)
Regards, David

Return to “General”