Southern area: 30th-31st Aug (Aug bank holiday) SHOW

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:03 am

I thought I hasd posted it on the forum, but couldn't find it. Anyway I have done it now at Getting maximum range safely from your electric vehicle

On this ocassion I was on standby with the Prius to tow the last few miles as I hadnt't done the usual low speed range test. However, we did know that it used about 40% to get there at 35mph. Using the above process and because she was very nervous she ended up at 25mph but with 10% left and actually got home a couple of mins before me.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Oooo er so she managed 68miles on one charge in the 106 doing this :shock:

By the way shifted your post out of "off topic" as its not really off topic is it as its to do with EV's 8) its now in "Cars,Vans and other road vehicles" unless you can think of a better place ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:47 pm

The reason she got the distance was the low speed (because of the lower wind resistance). The technique only allows confidence in the getting to a given destination.

No problem with the post move.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Must admit I do tend to drive my berlingo at normal road speeds as I'm not so sure I'd want to potter along @ 25-30mph.

These days average traffic speed I suspect is well in excess of 30mph and I wouldnt be happy holding other drivers up, that and it does sort of give EV's in general the "milk float" tag :cry: one thing that I try to avoid at all costs, as its this in my personal view why folks dont want them, that and the limited range.

ChrisB

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Absolutely agree.
We travel at normal speeds when travelling locally.
The 25-30 is an emergency situation and I remove my EV sign when doing that (it secured with velcro ;-) )

Even going to my parents/gliding I travel at 35-40 mph

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:14 pm

Ah thats not so bad 8) , although if your doing 35-40 on what is normally a 50-60 road you could be still holding up regular traffic up ?

I really do drive mine at regular speeds :)

Driving to the show the other weekend I never dropped below 40mph and even that concerned me on the motorway, most of the way we were doing 50 and peaked at a shade over 65 8) did the same if not went faster on the return journey and oddly used less energy than going :?

I'm wondering if on the return trip the fact I was going faster gave me more momentum to get up the hills and thus used less energy, I've thought this on several trips now as its not the first time I've had this.

ChrisB

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:56 am

Its probably more to do with wind direction as more than half the energy used is to wasted in pushing the air out of the way.

A 15 mph tail wind is probably similar to the difference between going 40 mph rather than 50 mph. Also if you were going into wind coming then the difference is even more marked.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:18 am

Ah quite possibley.

Next time I'm out I'll pay more attention to the wind etc

ChrisB

Return to “Events”