Charging Points

General BVS related area
dargles

Charging Points

Postby dargles » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi, Folks.
I was mulling over the Nissan presentation; they are clearly intending to work with the government and local councils (plus post-election...?) in terms of EV infrastructure. They are committed to working in partnership to see a significant increase in the number of street-based charging points, primarily in London, Milton Keynes and "the North East" (bearing in mind the Leaf factory will be in Sunderland, one might surmise that the north east might mean Sunderland and surrounding area? Or am I just being cynical?)

Anyway, my question concerns charging points. How are they/might they be protected against (a) oiks unplugging my car after I've plugged in, paid and gone for lunch, and then plugging their car in for the electricity that I've paid for, and (b) even oikier oiks thinking it's funny to just unplug me so the car doesn't charge up?

Does this sort of thing ever happen at the moment, assuming there are some roadside charging points around in places like London?
Regards, David

ChrisB

Re: Charging Points

Postby ChrisB » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:20 pm

Really depends on the charge points.

I'm currently having dealings with and their system which opperates on a coded fob system with a locking door, only the person with the coded fob that opened the door in the first place can re-open it again to un-plug the vehicle, even if the door is forced (which is quite hard to do) the system will go into fault and shut the power off anyway.
So even if someone comes along with another Elektrobay fob they wont be able to unplug it as there fob wasnt the one that opened the door in the first place 8)

Further details are here http://www.elektromotive.com/html/elekt ... ctions.php

Hope that makes feel a little happier :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

cianof

Postby cianof » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:01 pm

These are the same brand charge points that are being used in Dublin.

http://www.juicepoint.ie/

dargles

Postby dargles » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks, Chris and Cianof.
That makes a lot of sense. Now all I need is a car to charge up... And maybe a commitment by Southampton City Council to go electric... I'm determined to get there sooner or later!
Regards, David

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Well not quite Southampton...............but Winchester now is sporting 5 spanking brand new Electrobay charge points at their new Park and Ride
Although while they are in the ground there isnt any back end support for them currently.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “General”