lithium vrs lead

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
subevo

lithium vrs lead

Postby subevo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:06 pm

ok ive posted elsewhere that in my matiz conversion .the trojan batteries only lasted a year. cost £1200.so failed to recoup cost of batteries.

now when i looked into building a car it was commonly quoted you would/could get several years out of lead.this is what ive told my wife at the time and shes got a good memory.

so now im seriously looking at lithium and have been quoted £3000 . so told wife and guess what she says what happens if they dont last either.as i would need 3 years constant use to break even.

so people what can you tell me to convince wife that this may be worth it.or is it worth waiting for price to go down.

also how easy is it to damage cells or pack with lithium.

retepsnikrep

Re: lithium vrs lead

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:36 am

You have had my thoughts, but i will add my first generation limno4 lithium pack lasted about 5 years before I damaged it by leaving the car switched on for two weeks!! My current hipower pack is about 2 years old and working fine. The newer lifepo4 cells now deliver more power and should last longer.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

subevo

Postby subevo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:02 pm

yes thanks for your help.looks like im going to have to put lithium on hold.wife is not happy.major grief etc.looks like lead for another year then hopefully !!!!

may try RP30D £710 if it lasts longer than 7 months then im winning.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:42 pm

subevo wrote:so now im seriously looking at lithium and have been quoted £3000 .

My only thoughts are does that include a BMS and charger :? one bug bare I have with li-ions is the fact you just get over the cost of buying them only to be shot in the wallet again with a BMS and then an equally expensive charger, hence my asking "does 3k include all that" :wink:

My other thoughts are they do seem to be VERY good, although they can very easily go west if abused :cry: you rarely get a second chance with li-ions if you abuse them as several folk have found :cry:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

subevo

Postby subevo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:59 pm

yes thats including bms. and then another say £100 for reprogramming my zivan ng3.its wifes 40th and she wants expensive holiday.so £3000 is a no go.plus it would take 3 years of no extra expense to break even .knowing my luck this wouldnt happen.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Thats actually not a bad price then 8)

Why not buy them FOR your wifes birthday :mrgreen:

ChrisB runs and hides
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi Subevo

What spec Lithiums did you get a price for Current, Voltage etc... - and what BMS?
I havea Zivan NG3 charger too, which I can get modified. If I can increase my range to say 40 miles my car would be infinitly more useful.

The Lead in my cinquecento have pretty much had it - range is just 10 miles now :(

Thanks

Christopher
http://www.evalbum.com/3030
EVT 4000e Electic 'Vespa'

Return to “All things battery related”