Got my donor car! MR2 mk2 G Limited

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
ChrisB

Re: Got my donor car! MR2 mk2 G Limited

Postby ChrisB » Fri May 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Sounds about right, but you can run it in any config really as long as you keep an eye on the currents.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Sat May 08, 2010 11:28 pm

I've just been advised by Jim Husted that if I wire it all in series I will have a slower speed and lower current then if I wired the fields in parallel and then in series with the armature.

He also reckons I'm safe to 120V and probably up to 152V. The comm is soldered though so I need to be careful of melting the solder and 'flinging' it off in to the fields.

Well, so far so good.

I have orderd a drive shaft for a Mk3 MR2. Apparently, according to Paul at Woodsports it is interchangable with my Mk2 and has the inner CV on a long shaft. The CV is smaller and so should, just (hopefully), clear the motor frame. All I will need to do is to fabricate a remote bearing mount that will be part of the motor mounting bracket.

I am going to take all the motor parts to a local college on Monday for the enginering technician to make up the faux crank end coupler. Then I can start to assemble and see if my adaptor plate has any sort of accuracy to it. Some of the bolt holes do need opening up a touch but as long as the dowels only fit one way with no slack and the centre is, ummm, centred then I should be ok.
Last edited by Night Train on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Mon May 10, 2010 4:54 pm

I came home to a big package. :oops:

The mk3 driveshaft has arrived. :D

I tried it in the gearbox and it seems to fit. So I put the motor frame and CE cap on the adaptor plate to see how it fitted.

The frame will be another 2 1/2" higher with the DE cap in place but you can see how close a fit it is.

I will need to shave a bit off the bearing mount to clear the motor frame. The CV boot rubs on the frame but it will land in one of the large spaces in the edge of the CE cap. If I put a dent in the steel grille band (when I get one) then that should clear.

It looks like it will be OK, just. :)

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri May 14, 2010 9:16 am

Wow! Great work, NightTrain.
Tim Crumpton

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Fri May 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Cheers Tim, when are we back on your project?

The technicians at the local college are working on the coupler for me at the moment, all being well we should be machining the armature next Wedsnesday.

The cast iron bearing housing broke apart while it was in the lathe so it has been brazed back together for now. We will see how it works but we may have to make a replacement in aluminium.
Last edited by Night Train on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Tue May 18, 2010 11:17 pm

We got the motor armature on the lathe today.

The fan was very good at flinging coolent all over the shop! :lol:

The shaft is now parallel and with a 'cut line' to saw off later. We couldn't part it off on the lathe as there was no means of supporting the armature at the same time.

So I finally got the motor parts machined and back in my workshop.

The crank end machined.
With a plug in the end to assist drilling later.

The bearing carrier. Broken cast iron one and new aluminium one. Note it has a machined retainer on the outer side to save space and to add strength.

Bearing carrier drilled and tapped M8 and fitted to the DE cap.

Bearing carrier drilled and tapped with blind M6 holes to take inner bearing retainer.

The bearing assembly in the DE cap.

The crank end fitted into the bearing.

Machined flywheel and clutch assembly in the gearbox.

This is how the DE cap and crank end looks fitted to the flywheel.
This is the space left for the adaptor plate. Just on 19mm.
One advantage of having the crank end coupler held in the bearing like this is that I can centralise the motor DE cap on the adaptor plate without the weight of the motor on it.

Machined parallel motor shaft with larger bearing shoulder and the end cut off.

Crank end loose fitted to the motor shaft.

Armature and crank end coupler on the pillar drill.
This is where the little plug in the crank end came in. It allowed me to drill a centre bore tapped M8 and then to drill three M8 holes into the joint to form threaded keyways for 12.9 high tensile set screws.

This is where I am up to tonight. I need to get a M8 bottoming tap to finish off the holes and then I need the set screws to be wound in before I can go any further with assembly.

I will also need to make an extractor to pull the coupler off the motor shaft so that I can dismantle the motor again to get it out of the basement workshop.

favguy

Postby favguy » Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Wow! That's some really nice work you're doing there :mrgreen:

I'm going to visit thhe Forktruck breakers you put me on to in a couple of weeks to pick something up for mine (hopefully!)

Regards, Paul

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Thu May 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Cheers Paul, it's fun doing this, like playing without needing to worry about deadlines and clients or, to a certain extent, costs (so long as it is free or cheap!).

It is tempting to head down to the fork truck place too and look for another motor to build a project around. :lol:

Don't forget to take a 12V battery and jump leads with you to run the motors. You should also make up a short lead with croc clips on to connect the field winding to the armature.

An insulation resistance meter (Megger) would also be useful to test for shorts or faults in the insulation.

I made a simple fixed caliper of the maximum diameter of the motor I could accomodate, that made it easier to check for size. Having said that, the motor I have now is over an inch bigger then my caliper! :mrgreen:

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 pm

I decided to start sorting out the adaptor today.

I figured that I was fortunate in having the coupler on a bearing in the DE cap without the rest of the motor attached. So I fitted the flywheel and started centring the clutch.

I had been attempting this a few times ove the last couple of days but as there is no spigot bearing there was nothing to locate a clutch alignment tool to. I tried making an alignment tool to the inner edges of the clutch diaphram spring but that didn't work either.
I was finding that if I placed the assembly on the gearbox shaft and then spun the shaft, the DE cap was moving around a different centre as if the clutch was off centre.

Anyway, I decided to try the more accurate method and placed the DE cap on the bench and centred the clutch with a dial gauge. I got it within 0.1mm and then bolted the pressure plate and tried it on the transmission again.

Same problem.

So I decided to remove the flywheel and assemble the motor, maybe only having a single bearing on the coupler was allowing a bit of unwanted movement and throwing out any accuracy.

With the motor assembled I found the first problem. The shaft wouldn't turn.

I slackend off the DE cap bolts 1 turn each and tapped the cap loose. The shaft was now free. Retighten the bolts half a turn and the shaft gets tight.
OK, that means that the bearing carrier needs moving outboard maybe 3/4 of a thread pitch. Not a problem so I leave it as is for now.

I applied 12v to spin the motor and it vibrated a lot.
As it slowed down I notice that the adaptor, that was machined out of the crankshaft end, was visibly neither square nor centred.
Actually I think it is out of square but centred on the bearing but the shaft is slightly out of centre in the bore. It can only be the armature that is out of centre as there is not enough out of centre mass in the coupler to give the amount of vibration I was getting.

With the motor upended on the CE cap the motor wanted to dance about the floor as it accelerated through the resonance speeds.

Not at all happy now. :(

I will make a new coupler but it will be difficult getting the threaded half holes aligned for the set screw keys. I may even need to weld up the threads on the shaft, turn it round and start again.

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Been really fed up with the car due to the need to remake the adaptor.

The lump of EN38 has been sitting in my lathe for ages now and I turn a little of it every now and again.

Anyway, knowing that some of you have an aversion to heavy motors, prefering lightweight Agnis instead I thought I would weigh my 12" motor just as a comparison.
113.8kg on my bathroom scales. What's that? About 3 or 4 Agni motors?

I weighed my electric tractor too, around 270kg.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”