New AGM batteries now available

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
duxuk

New AGM batteries now available

Postby duxuk » Mon May 17, 2010 7:36 pm

I fully expect the usual barrage of criticism from the usual suspects at the mention of Elecsol, but the AGM, repeat AGM and not flooded lead acid batteries, are now on the market. Check the Tayna website for one. If you do your research you will find that the claims are for better performance, in many respects, than lithium without the problems of terminal over charging/discharge and the occasional fireball that many lithium users are finding to their considerable cost. A 7 year garuantee FOR EV USE shows confidence and weight and prices are excellent. I quite fancy a couple of thousand discharges to >50% DOD for £179, but if I dealt direct they would beat that price by a good margin, in my experience.

Andrew.

favguy

Re: New AGM batteries now available

Postby favguy » Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi Andrew,

I don't think anyone hangs out here anymore!!

Just for the record, I am going to buy a set of 12 of these at 135Ah, got to be worth a punt at the price with that guarantee for EV use.. :mrgreen:

Paul

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 20, 2010 8:36 pm

favguy wrote:I don't think anyone hangs out here anymore!!

The cheek of it :mrgreen: we're all out playing with our EV's when the weathers like this 8)

So Andrew are you going to buy some and test a few for us 8) Looks like Pauls going to give them a bash, be interested in how they perform.

I've already tested their flooded range some years back :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

favguy

Postby favguy » Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 am

Hi Chrisb,

Yes, I'm going to buy a set of 12 at 135Ah, I've made the decision instead of going with 90/100Ah Lifepo4 as I intended to, as the cost for these is just so much less, (if the claims stack up!). I know the earlier flooded offering isn't ideal for EV use, (although they were always aimed at RV and caravan use, not EV really), the new AGM's should be ideal for EV's. Elecsol's MD has been told my intention for use in an EV and has assured me the warranty will be honoured in the event of any failure.

Anyway, time will tell, I'll certainly let everyone know how they pan out, but be patient, as I've got to finish the EV first!

Regards
Paul

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri May 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Well thats good news, must admit when I used their flooded ones I was told all kinds of "yes they will be fine" etc, yet as you say they really where intended for RV/Caravan use to which they are very good.

It might have been they where just a little over enthusiastic about their batteries in the early years, hopefully they have learnt by their past issues and these new batteries stand up to their claims.

Do make sure you have it all documented and in writing, and please keep us informed about your progress on the batteries and how they perform and it would be good to put their past isssues to bed once and for all 8)

ChrisB

duxuk

Postby duxuk » Sat May 22, 2010 5:46 am

I've mentioned before that the FLAs have been redesigned and are now a sealed design. I also told Steve at Elecsol that I was using them in an EV and he thought I would be OK. My controller is currently set to 180A max. output current. So a 48V (about 40mph) in my trike the ampage draw on the 72V battery pack will only be a maximum of 120A. On a level surface I will only be drawing 0.5C and this should be my average draw. Anyway I have now passed MSVA and am taking it for an inspection by an administrator who knows nothing about cars on Tuesday. I know where the government should start it's cuts, this will be my fourth visit to the DVLA, I had the trike with me on the first visit but an inspection was "not our proceedure". Still another couple of hundred pounds poorer at least I will be on the road. I just have a couple of jobs to do on it to make it suitable for road use, having built it to pass MSVA, and I will post my initial results.

Andrew.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 22, 2010 10:29 am

duxuk wrote:I've mentioned before that the FLAs have been redesigned and are now a sealed design. I also told Steve at Elecsol that I was using them in an EV and he thought I would be OK. My controller is currently set to 180A max. output current. So a 48V (about 40mph) in my trike the ampage draw on the 72V battery pack will only be a maximum of 120A. On a level surface I will only be drawing 0.5C and this should be my average draw.

.........and that would be my concern, the word "thought" doesnt inspire me with confidence I'm afraid :?

duxuk wrote: Anyway I have now passed MSVA and am taking it for an inspection by an administrator who knows nothing about cars on Tuesday. I know where the government should start it's cuts, this will be my fourth visit to the DVLA, I had the trike with me on the first visit but an inspection was "not our proceedure". Still another couple of hundred pounds poorer at least I will be on the road. I just have a couple of jobs to do on it to make it suitable for road use, having built it to pass MSVA, and I will post my initial results.

Andrew.

Does seem that the DVLA are playing silly whatsits currently, glad your finally getting somewhere with it, but then at least we do still seem to be able to one off's actually on the road still, in some other countries now you've got no chance and if its not production built its game over :(

ChrisB

Return to “All things battery related”