Clamp meters

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ChrisB

Clamp meters

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Night Train wrote:I am now the proud owner of a couple of clip on DC ammeters, +-100A and +-600A so we can see what the pack is delivering at some point.

I've got one of those and they are just soooooooo handy.

Best £70 I have ever spent 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Night Train

Re: Long range lithium conversion

Postby Night Train » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:54 am

ChrisB wrote:
Night Train wrote:I am now the proud owner of a couple of clip on DC ammeters, +-100A and +-600A so we can see what the pack is delivering at some point.

I've got one of those and they are just soooooooo handy.

Best £70 I have ever spent 8)

ChrisB

These are the ones I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250668276206&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I wasn't sure how much there were worth so I was nervous of bidding too much.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:49 am

I bought a DC / AC Clamp meter with I think 1000 amps. Had it a year or so and it was well under £50. E bay of course, from Hong Kong. Its been really useful. Its not the worlds greatest at low current, but its really useful in checking battery flows etc. I will try and look out the vendor name. I havnt seen any more of this model (but not been looking too hard either) There are loads of cheap Ac Clamp meters but not DC ones.

Grumpy_b

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:50 pm

I've been looking at the cheap 'Hong Kong' clamp meters but I have always been weary of buying from overseas, I will have to one day.
Nice thing with a clamp meter is that it doesn't fall off when testing 'on the road'! :D

I will try and make up some sort of velcro strap for mine.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Mine very similar but not exactly one of these .......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RMS-AC-DC-Clamp-A ... 5ad954d6ec

Although mine has a 0-200A and 0-1200A ranges, tends to get a little flakey when its measuring less than amp and also can drift on long term measurements over a say 10mins but generally I'm only interested in short term measurement and if I think its drifted then its only a case of unclipping it and zeroing it, otherwise blooming fantastic 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

jonathan jewkes

Postby jonathan jewkes » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:I bought a DC / AC Clamp meter with I think 1000 amps. Had it a year or so and it was well under £50. E bay of course, from Hong Kong. Its been really useful. Its not the worlds greatest at low current, but its really useful in checking battery flows etc. I will try and look out the vendor name. I havnt seen any more of this model (but not been looking too hard either) There are loads of cheap Ac Clamp meters but not DC ones.

Grumpy_b

I got a Tecpel clamp meter from Digital-meters.com, a UK company. Does DC up to 400A. Cost (Jan 09) was £37 including postage.
Jonathan Jewkes
Daily EV user for 10years - an enthusiast and also a realist

Grizzlybear

Re: Clamp meters

Postby Grizzlybear » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:29 pm

I bought my one a UNI-T UT203 off ebay for £23.98 from China including postage, amazing quality it does ac and dc amps two ranges 40 and 400 amps, volts, ohms, diodes, plus more functions as well. I checked it against my Fluke and it's not far off, assuming the Fluke is accurate of course!

retepsnikrep

Re: Clamp meters

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Grizzlybear wrote:I bought my one a UNI-T UT203 off ebay for £23.98 from China including postage, amazing quality it does ac and dc amps two ranges 40 and 400 amps, volts, ohms, diodes, plus more functions as well. I checked it against my Fluke and it's not far off, assuming the Fluke is accurate of course!

I bought something very similiar a year or so ago. Essential bit of kit for EV work. 8)
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Return to “All things battery related”