Do replacing SAFT batts work ?

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
arsharpe

Do replacing SAFT batts work ?

Postby arsharpe » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Having replaced batteries in 2 Berlingos and a 106, with what appears to be good ones, it seems that when some cells start going then the others follows shortly behind.

Has anyone actually succussfully replaced faulty cells and returned vehicle to full range/reliability ?

Rob

Grumpy-b

Re: Do replacing SAFT batts work ?

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Regularly. But cells do fail and since most sets are of the same age and batch number its inevitable that others will fail. All but one of the packs on my two vehicles have had cells replaced. Some over two years ago and still going strong. I think its all about how much load you put on the rest of the pack once the problems start, as soon as I start to have problems I check the semi discharged pack voltages, isolate the failing pack and change the duff one asap. If I continue to use the vehicle I keep it charged and dont stress it. My aim is to reduce the strain on the others and so reduce the chance of cascade failure of the rest. Damage limitation is key. If they start to fail dont push them, otherwise more will almost certainly fail.
Replacement generally restores range. At least until the next one goes.
Grumpy_b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Yep no problems here (touch wood :lol: ), my Blingo that I replaced the whole pack some 3yrs ago is still running fine 8)

I did replace ALL the pack though, as generally replacing individual cells seems to be not worth doing as another old cell will generally go poof not long afterwards, especially if the packs a pre 2000 pack.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:52 pm

I have a lot of packs with a replaced cell, but they do seem to cascade fail, but as I start to lose renge etc I deal with the failures quiclkly and dont stress the cells that remain. A lot of people do keep on going and do stress the remaining cells which I do thinks has caused premature failures. The problem is if you dont have spares then I guess you will keep on using the vehicle until it gets too bad to use. Not a good idea.

Grumpy-b

Richard Elliott

Postby Richard Elliott » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:21 pm

I replaced some failed cells on my Berlingo over two years ago and its still going. Two of the replacements were ones I'd welded up where the tops had been blown out - I used a soldering iron to melt the bits back in!
It isn't enjoying the cold weather, though. After the last minus 10c a week or two back the range was lower than normal (even allowing for the cold), It was about due for a maintenance charge which I did and restored the range. However, the temperature outside this evening is heading down and down - minus 8c on the way back from our daughter's house. And I went in the i/c car as the van is a bit primitive with a dodgy heater, and not so good on the snow and ice with the high torque on moving off! Trust it will be OK tomorrow morning - it has to live outside.
How are others finding the cold weather is affecting the range?
Richard Elliott

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:03 am

Range down from a good 40 on my varied routes to low 30s. Its a double hit less power in and less power out.
I love the electrique in the snow and ice. Narrow commercial tyres grip really well coupled with the weight and the low speed torque. Absolutely brilliant.
This cold will im sure see off a few peoples less than good batteries as they are definitely more stressedin these conditions.

Grumpy-b

Richard Elliott

Postby Richard Elliott » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:59 pm

I'd better go out quick and see how it goes before the snow melts! Plus five outside and rising.
Richard Elliott

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:31 pm

Like any tyres on all cars the tread makes a huge difference. We have had great fun at work watching the chap with the Audi A4 with all the bells and whistles, fail to park it as the tyres are so wide with no tread that its like pushing a tray over the ground. The Block tread of my Avon Commerrcials on one and Mich Agilis 61,s happily dig into the snow etc and give really great grip. Mich much better than than the Avon as well.
I also had great fun watching the old chap opposite with his brand new jag, digging holes in his gravel / frozen drive (only a slight slope) and going no where fast. If you go to scandinavian countries they do change to winter tyres as a matter of course, which are also very narrow, as well as often being studded. But it would be pointless us having this approach as the tyres would almost certainly stay in the garage for most of the time. In Sweden that swap in October then again in March. Its almost certainly frozen solid everywhere in that period. We genarally have less than a fortnight of severe weather.
Back to safts, look after them . If they need watering in the winter ask someone to use their garage, but dont leave them. The extra loading that winter causes will see off anything that isnt kept up to scratch.

Grumpy-b (Still freezing)

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:Range down from a good 40 on my varied routes to low 30s. Its a double hit less power in and less power out.
I love the electrique in the snow and ice. Narrow commercial tyres grip really well coupled with the weight and the low speed torque. Absolutely brilliant.
This cold will im sure see off a few peoples less than good batteries as they are definitely more stressedin these conditions.

Grumpy-b

Must admit since the gritters started salting the roads mines been pretty much laid up, its bad enough living on the coast without componding the rust problem by driving it about on salt covered roads :roll:
Having said that mine was still returning a good 40miles at below 4C, but that was making sure I used it after it had just come off charge so the cells would still be nice and warm.

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Grumpy-b wrote:Like any tyres on all cars the tread makes a huge difference. We have had great fun at work watching the chap with the Audi A4 with all the bells and whistles, fail to park it as the tyres are so wide with no tread that its like pushing a tray over the ground................I also had great fun watching the old chap opposite with his brand new jag, digging holes in his gravel / frozen drive (only a slight slope) and going no where fast...........

Tell me about it, wifes got a Vectra which totally failed to go round a round about and dinked one of the front wheels :( yet my old rover with its skinny wheels romps around in snow and ice without any problems 8)

ChrisB

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”