New to EV motorbikes

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
Fat-tony71

Re: New to EV motorbikes

Postby Fat-tony71 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:14 pm

I have heard of these types of dramas with dvla from EVcar builders. I just dont understand how they can issue a new V5 for a straight ICE swap, But mess up so much with an EV. I think its down to the simpletons they employ for the job. I have all the original running gear, Frame, Wheels, Forks, Swinger etc, So it should be an MSVA test. I have heard horrendous stories about them, Which I would like to avoid. I will follow your lead with the fully documented build and spec sheets for everything. Its funny how the government wants to get more EV's on the roads, But can't seem to get the framework in place to encourge it.

EV_dub

Postby EV_dub » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Fat-tony71 wrote:I have heard of these types of dramas with dvla from EVcar builders. I just dont understand how they can issue a new V5 for a straight ICE swap, But mess up so much with an EV. I think its down to the simpletons they employ for the job. I have all the original running gear, Frame, Wheels, Forks, Swinger etc, So it should be an MSVA test. I have heard horrendous stories about them, Which I would like to avoid. I will follow your lead with the fully documented build and spec sheets for everything. Its funny how the government wants to get more EV's on the roads, But can't seem to get the framework in place to encourge it.

I had an easy experience!

Had my car mot'd, got the garage to sign a letter I drafted earlier. This stated they had inspected the car including a brake test and that the propulsion is fully electric etc... They stamped it and job done.

Next a visit to The dvla local office. They issued me my free tax disc, and they kept hold of the v5 and letter, in order to adjust the taxation class and engine category.

piece of cake :lol:
Last edited by EV_dub on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Veedub Golf, 156v, 1200A, 150ah's

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm

I truly think its all down to the "person" you get at the DVLA head office or local office. My local office is Nottingham, I've never used them, But I will be soon!.

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:33 pm

My experience was that the local office couldn't handle it directly any more, but I know they've been able to in the past, as I've built a couple of kit cars and always used my local office. I went down to my local DVLA office (they're only 40 mins away in Poole) and all they did was act as a post box for Swansea - I may as well have just bought a stamp. The lady there said that all these changes were no longer something that the local office could handle unless asked to by Swansea. Apparently the DVLA has now "streamlined" its customer services and centralised a whole load of things that used to be handled locally. One victim of this centralisation was removing all the incoming phone lines from local DVLA offices, so you have to call Swansea with any query............

Jeremy

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:54 pm

"Streamlining", "Proactive" and all these other overused words should be banned! It does make me laugh when they consider removing incoming phone lines to try and make thing easier, When all it does it cause havoc. I shall see how I get on.

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Just had an email from the Agri supplier in Switzerland, UK supplier didnt have any motors. They have offered me Ex works ASMO motors. The 95 at 1060 euro and the 95B at 1170 euro, both are ex VAT and shipping. They say they have limited supplies, heard that before :mrgreen: . Does anyone know if this is a good price?. I have the drawings for the motor, Just need to build a mock up to look at mounting points. The drawing says the diameter is 205mm, This looks very compact for quiet a powerful unit. Any other motor suggestions?

Daz

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:41 pm

That price looks about right. Have you tried Agni directly or maybe Lemco to get a price?

These motors are a LOT smaller and lighter than the big Sep Ex motor you were first looking at, plus they have a pretty good performance pedigree running in bikes.

Jeremy

EV_dub

Postby EV_dub » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:11 am

Details on the LMC, LEMCO MOTS:

http://www.lmcltd.net/uploads/files/130_table.pdf

D135RAG Motor is same spec as Agni, I think.

They are based in Honiton in Devon.
1993 Veedub Golf, 156v, 1200A, 150ah's

Fat-tony71

Postby Fat-tony71 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:38 am

EV_dub wrote:Details on the LMC, LEMCO MOTS:

Just this minute been on their website!. Not far from where my old fella lives, so no delivery charge! will email them later to get some prices and ideas. Cheers guys.

Daz

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:49 am

EV_dub wrote:Details on the LMC, LEMCO MOTS:

I mentioned this Lemco motor in an earlier post on this thread:

"If you want a British option, and are prepared for a little less power, you could look at an original Lynch motor, like the LEM 200: http://lemcoltd.com/ The D135 motor is pretty much the same weight, size and peak power as the Agni 95-R and made here in the UK, so cheaper shipping and no duty. Lemco also stock controllers, contactors etc, so you could get most of what you need from them."

Jeremy

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”