Alternative Energy Racing at Santa Pod

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
booboo

Re: Alternative Energy Racing at Santa Pod

Postby booboo » Fri May 06, 2011 9:23 am

Bit of a strange one this.....I phoned Santa Pod asking to speak with Chris Dredge to be told Chris no longer works there and to speak with a gent called Rick Cuthbert. Of greater concern is the advice to email Rick direct at Santa Pod as the AER website does not automatically send the messages to the correct person....

I'm now a little confused as to what is happening with this event, especially as it is so close to the actual date .
London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 am

booboo wrote:I'm now a little confused as to what is happening with this event, especially as it is so close to the actual date .
I had email contact with Rick Cuthbert as recently as the 19th April and the entry list has been updated on the aer website in the last few days. I'd be very surprised if anything has changed with the event...
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

John Cave

Postby John Cave » Fri May 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Rick Cuthbert was the organiser of the AE event last year, and that was a very good event,so I am confident all will go ahead as planned. It does explain why I have not received replies to my emails, I shall copy them to Rick and ring him on Monday.

John Cave

Postby John Cave » Mon May 09, 2011 8:51 pm

I spoke to Rick Cuthbert today and everything is going ahead as planned. Rick assured me there should be plenty of charging points available as there are no other events running on Saturday.

The circuit will be set up by AERacing for our use on Saturday and as a performance car demonstration area on Sunday so any vehicles we take will be able to do circuit runs as required.

See you on Saturday.

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue May 10, 2011 5:55 pm

An extract from the email I received today;

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your support of Alternative Energy Racing at Santa Pod Raceway. This year’s event is all set to be another great day at the Pod, but there are a few changes that should hopefully make this event another step better and more interesting.

The first thing to mention is that AE Racing is no longer on a Friday, and is now on a “Run What Ya Brung” Saturday. AE Racing is no longer sharing a weekend with the Volkswagen show it previously did… but it’s great to see there are still plenty of Volkswagens involved, so thanks for sticking with us guys! The track will be open to other (non-AER) vehicles taking part in the “Run What Ya Brung” day, but AER will have it’s own paddock and race classes.

The 2011 entrants are listed on this web-page here: http://aeracing.org/entry2011.php

Tickets

Each entry listed will have three entry tickets allocated per vehicle unless agreed otherwise. Feel free to email me to check what tickets I have against your name. It will be much easier to sort this out now rather than on the day, so please check your tickets if you are unsure.

Tickets will be held under the driver’s name, and will be available to collect at the gate on arrival.

Tickets are also valid for camping on Sat night if you wish to do so, but be aware that there is a large performance car event on the following day, so don’t expect much of a lie-in!

Arrival

The gates to Santa Pod Raceway will be open at around 8am on Saturday, and you are welcome to arrive from then onwards. There is no rush, the track itself will not likely open until 10am, but you are welcome to arrive early is you want to get set up and ready.

Collect your tickets at the gate on arrival.

The pits will be located near the startline, ask site marshals/staff for directions to the AE Racing pits. Please park up considerately and move any trailers/crew vehicles to the nearby grass area.

Sign On

Please visit the sign-on office once you are pitted. You need to do this to be able to use the track. Sign-on is free for all registered entrants, and you will need to show your DVLA driving licence to the sign-on staff, so please DO NOT FORGET IT.

Sessions

Although the track is open all day and you are welcome to run whenever you are ready, I am planning to run sessions at the following times:

1230h, 1430h, 1530h, 1630h, 1730h

I will ask racers to kindly be ready to run at these times and wait in the staging lanes a few minutes before the times above and get paired up with whoever they want to race against. This will create a nice spectacle where all vehicles run together and the commentators can announce what is happening instead of getting lost in the general Run What Ya Brung.

Timing and Winners

Trophies will be presented at 6pm on the track startline for the fastest alt fuel and electric vehicle over the ¼ mile. Slower vehicles can also be timed over the 1/8th mile, and I will work out a system for informing the timing crew to switch the timing system over.

Handling Track

There will also be a tight handling track available that is timed, but no trophies available. This is free to enter and will be open from midday until 1700h.

Food, Drink & Catering

There will be a full range of catering open at the event. Please bring some cash.

Electric Supply

I have been promised a powerful generator for this event to charge electric vehicles. This should provide a good 3-phase and 13amp supply, but I would appreciate it if all electric vehicle entrants could bring vehicles as fully charged as possible and with as many long extension leads and adaptor plugs as they can get their hands on! Charging is only for vehicles – no computers/mobile phones etc etc etc.

Don’t Forget…

- Driving licence. You need this to sign on to use the track.

- Helmets for open-top vehicles and anything going faster than 110mph over the finish line.

- Helmet, suitable protective clothing (e.g. leathers/synthetic equiv. suit) and gloves for motorcycle riders

- Cycle helmet for cycle-type vehicles travelling at less than 30mph. Motorcycle gear required for anything faster.

I look forward to seeing all your fantastic vehicles very soon! Yours sincerely,

Rick Cuthbert

Santa Pod Raceway

T 0208 852 5005

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun May 15, 2011 11:26 am

Had a really good time at this years AER, there are quite a few piccies and some video footage on my c5alive forum;

http://c5alive.co.uk/forum/index.php?PH ... pic=1478.0

...probably best to skip through to page 3 for all the photo's :mrgreen:

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun May 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Nice one 8)

Looks like a great day, loved the vidoes :lol:

Might actually make it to this event next year....but its looking like I may need to find something speedy enough to compete with you boyz :lol: :lol:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Sun May 15, 2011 8:20 pm

a great day...
Attachments
IMG_0641_small.jpg
IMG_0641_small.jpg (235.75 KiB) Viewed 20961 times
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

philaedwards

Postby philaedwards » Tue May 17, 2011 4:34 am

We had a fantastic day, it was good to put faces to names. If anyone got any video of our bike (AE3, Rob Moon riding the orange and grey Weald EVT Yamaha 600 electric motorcycle) I'd love to know.

I did, but as I forgot to take the monopod, they're hand held - and those that were there will know it was pretty blustery so the camera's bouncing around a fair bit while I try and shoot from long-ish range!

many thanks, Phil
XJ600 electric drag race project
Don't you love it when your project's "80% finished" ? It's so satisfying to know there's only 80% left to do...

Return to “Events”