West Sussex gets 20 charge points

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
MalcolmW

Re: West Sussex gets 20 charge points

Postby MalcolmW » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:26 am

Wow! Just a mile down the road from me! It says Brooklands, but the map shows it to be further down the main seafront road, possibly at the BP garage. Can you confirm, seeing you've actually been there?

I wonder if I can get a bike into the multi-storey without paying. It's an NCP job and the price is extortionate.

The batteries on my Oxygen are rather tired, so a point in or on the way back from Worthing would be great.
Malcolm
www.justonebill.info

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:00 pm

The Brooklands one is in the carpark adjoining the park on the western road, the pin in the map is definately wrong and out by about 1/4 mile and on the wrong road :roll:

This link http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=western ... 42.39,,0,0 will take you to looking directly at the point where they are located, in front of the white building which is the toilet block.

I'll try and get that fixed next week :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

MalcolmW

Postby MalcolmW » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:58 am

Ah yes, right near the speed camera, which is something I don't need to fear on my mean machine. :wink:

Out of interest, why was that particular location (Brooklands, not the toilet block!) selected? Are there a lot of drivers of electric vehicles who stop by for a go on the swings and a trip round the lake?

Just interested, as no doubt a lot of research will have gone in to siting the points.
Malcolm
www.justonebill.info

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:24 pm

The point locations were all in the main chosen for their high profile locations i.e shopping carparks or in the case of Brooklands for its high turn over of vehicles of folks going to the park, but also a local electrical supply was needed as funding wasnt available for an independant Supply Authority supply, which would also incur rolling standing charge costs etc

Thus points where needed to be located near the Counties own buildings or at a location where the owners where happy to allow the use their own supply i.e NCP

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:45 pm

MalcolmW wrote:Wow! Just a mile down the road from me! It says Brooklands, but the map shows it to be further down the main seafront road, possibly at the BP garage. Can you confirm, seeing you've actually been there?.

Mapping error has now been fixed and the pin is in the correct position

ChrisB

MalcolmW

Postby MalcolmW » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:12 pm

One thing I can't see you've mentioned: I visited the Brooklands points and didn't realise till I got there that you needed to pay £50 a year for the privilege of free electricity! My modest requirements, plus the parking charge, would make that unrealistic. However, I realise it would be viable for a vehicle which was to be used regularly outside the range of home charging, as it's much less that an average tank of petrol and NCP's extortionate parking charges wouldn't seem quite so bad.

There was an article in our local paper a few weeks ago about these charging points, so it's good they've got a bit of publicity.
Malcolm
www.justonebill.info

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes sadly I couldnt pursade the council to reduce the fee any further, it started out at £100 like the Newcastle ones :shock: but they managed to find some funding to bring this down
Trouble is theres all the back office that needs to be paid for and the maintenance for the posts.
Also you have too remember when anything is new and up coming early adopters will pay a premium, go back 10yrs and a 42" plasma TV cost £1000's today you can get one for under £500

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Anyone in and around West Sussex with an EV could win a sub to the Charge your Car scheme, details below.

http://www.westsussextoday.co.uk/news/l ... _1_3068714

Closing date is 30th Sept 2011 so not long to go.

ChrisB

Return to “All things battery related”