Museum of the Electric Vehicle?

General BVS related area
dargles

Museum of the Electric Vehicle?

Postby dargles » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi, folks.
I was sorting out some wire wheels at the Vintage Tyre company today and got a free pass into Beaulieu while they did the work :D . So I thought I'd try and track down whatever they had on electric vehicles. Oh, I don't think we've got anything like that, says the guy I asked. Yes, you do, says I - there's the Harrods van (and the Brush Pony milkfloat, but I forgot about that).

Anyway, the point is, that it became very clear that Beaulieu might be excellent for all sorts of things, but it's not really the place to go to if you want to mug up on electric vehicles. Does anyone know if there's anything like a "museum of the electric vehicle" anywhere in Britain? In the world... :( ? There'd be so much interesting stuff that could go in to such a place, but I only know of odd items scattered around the country. And they're hugely at risk - one of only two known CGE Tudors which was in a museum in France was sold off at auction last year - who knows what will become of that in a few years time :cry: ?
Regards, David

ChrisB

Re: Museum of the Electric Vehicle?

Postby ChrisB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm

Amberly does have a very good electric museum, OK not dedicated to just vehicles but all things electric but it does have several electric vehicles.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

dargles

Postby dargles » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 pm

Hmmm... Now I'm even more disappointed that I missed the Amberley trip earlier on :cry: !
Still, Helen wants to replace a plant pot which she got from Amberley, so maybe... you never know...

Incidentally, there was a really interesting exhibit in a museum in the Lake District, the Auto Red Bug:

It's a car from the 1920s, and appears to be American in origin:
http://www.redbugmotors.com/history.html

Might be small and slow, but I like the minimalist concept!
Regards, David

PHEV

Postby PHEV » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am

Swindon Science museum had a good array of electric vehicles, many still operational. I don't know if they are open everyday, but they do have open days regularly..
*Mazda MX-5, 300KW peak, 300v 20KW/h lipo pack, Soliton 1000A controller. 1100KG.
*Ducati SS twin Agni 80HP peak.
*Aprilia RS motorcycle, 500A controller, Cedric's AgniMotor, 96v 6kw/h LiPo pack, 130kg, 90mph.
www.jozztek.com

Return to “General”