Please support a Nissan fast charger at Newbury

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
arsharpe

Please support a Nissan fast charger at Newbury

Postby arsharpe » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi All,

A customer requires support to use electric vehicles in their current business. For operational reasons a fast charger is required at Newbury's Rowstock Nissan. Unfortunately, Rowstock is not one of the first wave of dealers to receive the chargers. However, Newbury is an excellent location at it is at the intersection of the major travel roads of the A34, A4 & M4.

Mike (the Sales manager) from Rowstock is willing to push to get a fast charger at his location and would greatly appreciate help in gathering data for a business case to fast track the work. We would be grateful if you currently, or are you likely to benefit in the future from, a fast charge point at Newbury to answer the following questions.

a) How often are you likely to use it (regular, e.g. every Mon, or occasionally)
b) If required in the future, what sort of timescale are you looking at ?
c) Is this charge point absolutely required for you to purchase a Leaf if applicable ?
d) Is it essential for you that it is available out of hours (e.g. Sundays) ?

I will be collating results received and posting to Mike on Wed 31 Aug.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Robert Sharpe (Technical Director)
07711 252971

Evergreen Consulting Ltd

Making eco technology work for you.

Kevin Sharpe

Re: Please support a Nissan fast charger at Newbury

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:09 am

arsharpe wrote:For operational reasons a fast charger is required at Newbury's Rowstock Nissan.
IMO Charging Stations that are not available to the public 24/7 should be paid for by the dealer not by our taxes :(
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:38 am

Kevin Sharpe wrote:
arsharpe wrote:For operational reasons a fast charger is required at Newbury's Rowstock Nissan.
IMO Charging Stations that are not available to the public 24/7 should be paid for by the dealer not by our taxes :(

Thanks for your reply Kevin.
My understanding is that the dealer pays for the fast chargers. Re: paid for by our taxes, is there something that I don't know about ?

I agree the not available 24/7 is far from ideal and I did stress that point to the sales manager.

Do you know if there is a Chademo (Leaf) to Tesla fast charger converter and therefore would a fast charger here be useful to you ?

john

Postby john » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:22 pm

HI ROBERT
A 2or3 times a month
B asap
C i already have a LEAF
D yes 24/7
KIND REGARDS
JOHN CRAYTON

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:13 pm

arsharpe wrote:My understanding is that the dealer pays for the fast chargers. Re: paid for by our taxes, is there something that I don't know about ?

It has been claimed that some of the Fast Chargers in the Plugged In Places areas have been funded by that scheme... my enquires at Nissan have met a wall of silence :(

arsharpe wrote:I agree the not available 24/7 is far from ideal and I did stress that point to the sales manager.

I think it's important to remember that these Chargers are intended for use by the dealer to sell and service their cars. They are not a public resource and access to them will get more difficult as the number of EV's grows.

Tom Barnard, Communications director of Nissan GB, said recently - "We can't do infrastructure too. We can only encourage it."

http://twitter.com/#!/TomNissan/stat...55485740752897

arsharpe wrote:Do you know if there is a Chademo (Leaf) to Tesla fast charger converter and therefore would a fast charger here be useful to you ?

The current Tesla does not support DC Charging. It's possible that the next Tesla ("Model S") will not support CHAdeMO because 50kW is at the bottom end of what's required to charge a 300 mile range EV in a sensible timeframe at a service station...

Sorry, I'm really not trying to dampen your efforts, I just think DC Chargers should be at service stations with 24/7/365 access and support.
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”