how to test saft nicd

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
tipidave1

how to test saft nicd

Postby tipidave1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Is there a definitive test protocol that can determine the likely health of a cell? The range on my berlingo has been getting worse over recent months :( I would like to be able to test some 'condition un-known' potential replacement cells. Other than putting them under load and obseving any drop in voltage and subsequent recovery is there a more scientific method of determining thier likely condition? All advice gratefully received.
:D

ChrisB

Re: how to test saft nicd

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:55 pm

The scientific way is to load them with a known load and measure the hours they take to discharge.

In theory the Safts can sustain 33amps for 3hrs from fully charged according to this spec sheet

http://www.evdl.org/docs/stmuk.pdf

So a discharge rig that has a load of a couple of hundred watts should do the job, if the battery say dies after 1.5hrs then you could say its only got 50% of its capacity and so on.

One issue could be is trying to charge it back up or making sure its fully charged in the first place, but then if you time the charge and the rate as it goes in then it "should" be OK although I'm not sure how the best way to water it doing this unless you follow the spec sheet I suppose, along with cooling, although as long as you dont discharge it too hard or charge it hard then you may get away with just having some water in the jacket itself :?

Anyone else got any ideas ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:00 am

Hi,

I have an automatic electronic load that can test upto 40A, 800W & 80V.

Although it is supposed to be a fully protected unit it had to be replaced, so I am a little reluctant to lend it out.

My wife works in Hamble so should be able to pick them up.

How many have you got ?

Regards,
Rob

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2916

Links to the CAA document for testing aircraft NiCad batteries.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “All things battery related”