Proven grid connected 6kW wind turbine

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:19 pm

You really do wonder with some of these so called officials :roll:

I'm sure half of them dont know there a*** from their elbow :evil:

As if your going to make a profit from green energy ......that will be the day, well OK you will in the end but I dont think they have a clue about the actual outlay needed to set this sort of thing up :roll:

Well I suppose its a step in the right direction just back at the start really.

Makes my blood boil , on one hand you've got the government ranting on about how green we should all be and then local councils that get all jumpy as soon as someone mentions a wind turbine :evil:

And dont even start me on the latest wheeze of cutting stamp duty on carbon neutral housing , ha ha ha very funny , mmmmm let me see yeah must be all of 0.00001% of the housing market thats like that :evil:

As per normal just the normal lip service to the green issues :roll:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

clnbrtltt

Update on Proven W T

Postby clnbrtltt » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:42 pm

Hi again,
We went to the planning meeting last night and are pleased to report that we have now obtained planning permission to erect our wind turbine. The mast must be painted dark green to blend in with the countryside. There was an objector there but he did not come up with any valid reasons against it and the councillors voted unanimously for it to go ahead.
Interestingly, the councillors did not seem very well informed about microgeneration!
We will keep you informed about our progress.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:50 pm

Well done :D

Theres always one that will try and put a spanner in the works just to be a pain in the rear.

Dont forget to document the installation with pics as I'll be interested to see how it goes up etc

ChrisB

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi again,
Just to say we have now finished the foundations for the WT.
We got some one to dig 2 holes with a JCB. One is 2.5metres by 2.5m by 1m depth for the actual turbine and the other is 1m by 1m by 1m depth which is for the anchor point for winching the turbine up.
On Friday we had 7.25cubic metres of 35 Newton ready mix delivered. This was with an 8 wheeled lorry which had some difficulty negotiating our country road! Our JCB contact was ready and waiting and filled his front bucket around 16 times and transported it to and fro from our drive to the relevant places in the field. Left a fine mess in that part of the field!!!!
The concrete will take a couple of weeks to cure.
We have a slight hiccup with Western Power but we are told that will be resolved in time (according to Proven Energy).
We are taking photos but do not have a website. There are some detailed instructions and photos on www.aeolus.co.uk
They are the installers for our WT.
Hopefully more to follow eventually!

Jan and Colin

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Wow looks like its coming on great , sadly the link you provided says the server is unavailable ???

Feel free to post the pics here on this thread, I have got image attachments enabled or you could host them on something like photobucket and link to them

Cant wait to see them

ChrisB

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi Chris,
Sorry about the link! Try www.aeoluspower.co.uk and then click on installation on the left.

Jan

clnbrtltt

Proven grid connected 6kW wind turbine

Postby clnbrtltt » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:24 pm

We have at last got our wind turbine up and running. There are some teething problems which we hope to get sorted fairly soon. We have posted some photos on Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73686048@N00/
Hopefully the above link will get you there.
We are still looking for an EV.
Waiting to hear the new launch date for the 4 seater Microcar Zenn. We have been told it will now be later this year and will have a range of around 50 miles and be capable of 50mph.

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:45 pm

Cool. That's the dog's dangly bits :)

Nice car too. How about converting it to an EV, I'm guessing it's nice'n'light.

Floydster

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Fri May 25, 2007 9:11 pm

I'm close to installing my turbine and I've been looking at your pictures again for ideas.

I'm having dinner (at my expense) with my electrician this week to discuss the installation.

Your system looks like there's some type of grid tie set-up and that you don't store the electricity in a battery bank for use as required, is this correct?

I'm planning to use a battery bank and invert to the house. However, my biggest problem is.......you'll never believe it........I can't make my other half's ceramic hair straighteners work with any of the inverters I have a Major stumbling block.

Help.

Floydster

clnbrtltt

Postby clnbrtltt » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:53 pm

Hi Floydster,
Sorry but our computer has been caput for weeks now! Tried it today and it is actually working for now! Need to get a new one I suppose :(
but have heard that Vista is causing a few problems so keep leaving it hoping we can get this one sorted.
Great to hear about your turbine but can't really help regarding the hair straighteners :!:
Yes our system is connected to the national grid so we don't store any of our electricity on site. When it's generating we can use it on site and any excess is exported to the grid and we should get paid for it. Lots of problems setting it all up but all seems to be well now. In first 2 months we averaged 19kWh each day (total generation). It is doing all we had hoped.
Hope you have managed to sort your system now.

[EDIT] Posts below about Computer OSes have been moved to the OT section hereas I can imagine we'll have many replies to it!

Return to “Home Energy Area”