Electric Reverse Trike - eco-exo r - advice requested

An area for all you bikers who now run your two wheeler on battery power, scooter owners to.
glerwill

Electric Reverse Trike - eco-exo r - advice requested

Postby glerwill » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:34 am

Hi,
I am asking this question in motorcycles forum due to the base vehicle. I have seen a reverse trike that you can build in the UK or US at http://www.eco-exo.com/ . The R model is with steering wheel rather than handlebars, which some people prefer. They are based on suzuki burgman components including the original petrol engine power chain. The weight as constructed is 200KG. The desired range and speed for me to use as a city commute is 60mph and 15 miles before an overnight recharge.

I have thought of 3 strategies to reduce weight and electrify the kit and would like your advice on this and any other suggestions:

- use alternative front wheels that are lighter than the stock burgman scooter ones and have smaller section tyres. Use a hub motor (for simplicity) at the rear and a custom designed or adapted burgman swing arm for it.

- same as the first option but using an inboard motor and chain drive to rear wheel.

- 2 hub motors at the front, similar to the original burgman items, with a simple swing arm/wheel and disc at the rear.

Please may I ask you to comment on each option and suggest suitable motors, controllers and battery packs. If your advice is to accept lower performance, please suggest what I can reasonably aim for.

The intention is to build to a budget and save on commuting costs over time. The kit costs about £2K.

rgds

Graham

timpootle

Re: Electric Reverse Trike - eco-exo r - advice requested

Postby timpootle » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Hello Graham! LTNP

I've edited your web address into a live link. That's a familiar looking trike - it was a bit unclear on the website exactly what relationship they have with MEV. Stuart Mills has designed and built several electric vehicles. You might find your eco-exo remarkably easy to convert... or if you ask the factory before you buy, they might advise a slightly different chassis not set up for Burgman bits. Just a thought.
Tim Crumpton

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:08 pm

That's me speed-reading:
http://www.eco-exo.com/about_us_1.html
Objectives:
As well as producing and marketing the Eco-Exo, both in the UK and European markets, we plan to develop a number of derivatives and options. Current plans in development include a single seat model with Steering wheel and rack and a complete 72v electric model, making it the ultimate in Eco-Exo travel for both Fun and Commuting.
Tim Crumpton

glerwill

Postby glerwill » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Tim,
thanks for your prompt replies. The original design was Stuart Mills/MEV - now under control of Scott and Eco-Exo. I believe they wish to develop an EV version, but have not yet done so. Development costs have to be met by sales somewhere along the line and we are still in a recession.

I have noticed that the newer burgmans (2007) have nicer/presumably lighter wheels so that part of it could be easier.

The hard part would be to replace the burgman swinging arm, petrol engine and suspension with electric power - did I not see a large scooter hub motor for sale at some stage (presumably chinese?).

Thank you for your interest and advice

rgds

Graham

glerwill

Postby glerwill » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Hey,
I'm still looking for a bit more help here (please!).

If the weight of the vehicle and rider was 300KG - what size of motor would I need to achieve 50-60 MPH?
What LIPO batteries would I need to achieve a 15 Mile range?
What voltage should I run at?

Do you have comments on the EnerTrac hub motor as a suitable motor? (enertrac.net)

They seem to offer some assistance with a swinging arm and torsion bar - which could be used to replace the entire burgman motor and drive train.....

Any advice very welcome ;-)

rgds

Graham

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:18 pm

If the Eco-Exo had eco car radials then we could expect the consumption to be ...300Kg(?) = 660lbs/10 = 66WH/mile.

So for a 15 mile range 15*66 = 0.99KWH plus 20% safety; (Never over/under charge!) = 1.188KWH. Assuming a lightweight 100V motor You'll need ~30*12AH. Expect it to weigh ~15lb for LiFePo4.

Avoid LiPo's like the devil. They are for toys, self igniting and extremely dangerous if they catch light.

Motorbike tyres are expensive, have poor contact area for side loads, more rolling resistance and soon wear down. love the Eco-Exo for what it is but I'd totally overhaul the basic design to have a false floor to take say, CALB's lying flat. (Low CofG & out of the way). Bring the front wheels back towards the CofG (many reasons). Front wheel drive, so if a front wheel lifts on a turn accelerating the drive is lost hence safer. The need of a steering wheel on twin front wheels is I'm afraid law. I wanted twin stick steering on mine to keep it compact and run the batteries between my legs.

If I was choosing a motor for this.. The drive and electronics from a Prius. (See below). The humongous torque of 305Nm will negate the need for a gearbox to 100mph (+200lbs thrust) on this baby. Imagine! :twisted:

Night Train

Postby Night Train » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:07 pm

glerwill wrote:The hard part would be to replace the burgman swinging arm, petrol engine and suspension with electric power - did I not see a large scooter hub motor for sale at some stage (presumably chinese?).

Enertrac hub motor?

One of those in the back would delete the engine and transmission and give space for batteries.

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Car rear wheel drive swing arm. Belt drive to motor near swing arm pivot?

300kg; need more grunt.

Return to “Electric Motor Bikes”