Free home charging connection?

General BVS related area
hadland

Free home charging connection?

Postby hadland » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi all, and happy new year.
Only just seen these offers, noticing a unit on ebay. I would like to know if anyone can provide any recommendations? A few choices out there.
My conversion (not finished yet) has a type 1, J1772 connection.
cheers
Tim

timpootle

Re: Free home charging connection?

Postby timpootle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:41 am

Hello Tim

Kevin Sharpe has made a plea, which I agree with , for anyone installing a charging point to go for IEC62193 Type 2 ("Mennekes"). The communication protocol is identical to J1772 ("Type 1") so you then need a dumb lead like this one:
http://shop.zerocarbonworld.org/cables/ ... cable.html

The "free" charging points I have seen offered by energy companies etc are funded by a government scheme whereby you promise to allow collection of data on the charging you do, which is sent automatically from the box by a mobile phone-like signal. Some people see this as invasion of privacy. Your call.

The free points I have seen offered tend to be limited to 16 amp (about 4 kW), or you can pay them a bit extra to get 7kW (32 amp). I would choose 32 amp personally, thereby future-proofing yourself even if your present vehicle won't charge that fast. 3-phase 22kW posts are unusual.

If you don't fancy big brother watching you, I heartily recommend Zero Carbon World charging points. I think Kevin has done a great thing in setting up a charity to put public charging points in place. Your purchase helps this charity work.

All views are my own...
Tim Crumpton

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:16 am

I have a Britishgas/chargemaster/Polaris unit at 15A/3.3KW. It set me back nothing and you don't need an electric car to have one - just your own wall and a reasonably pedestrian free place for the cable to lie on the floor. My unit has never spoken back to the net. I'm supposed to be able to log in and see what I'm using. It's blank!

Kevin Sharpe is amazingly anti Nissan Leaf (type1, ATM). I agree the type2 is almost future proof but it is mainly down to the fact if you want a dangling rope on the end of your EVSE or get the thing out of the car each time to connect both ends. Don't forget, these units have a communication protocol if you have an old or home build. There are cheap items to overcome this.

I charge every time I'm home. It's a habit. Charging speed is barely an issue at home or at a destination...... But then again I did have to borrow Bro-in-laws Jag to see Tim croak in the choir. I was driving all day and with others messing around eles where I couldn't get enough charge nor were there any local charge points I knew of at the destination.

paulob1

Postby paulob1 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:57 pm

I have both, one at my works is a free charge point from zeronet, 32 amp again, only had one non employee user other than me with my two vehicles use it but its there....I also have a medium fast charger at home, 32 amp...charges the ZOE in just over 3 hours....excellent too...and finally have one at my Fiances house too, we have done about 16000 miles so far in the twizy and zoe and am now looking at getting a couple of leafs for the boys...and maybe another for staff on site...second hand the leafs are a steal...

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 pm

I went for a 32 amp menekees socket from british gas which cost a bit extra. This is for my Leaf and I need the lead anyway for charging at shopping malls etc. I will need a menekees to menekees lead when I get the Smart built as it has that type of socket. Getting a J1772 captive lead would have been too restrictive in my view.

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Tims not chipped in but he has just bought a Mennekes soket for his van. Seems it's the future if you are in the EU. Leaf or no. ;)
You're right on the money there guys.

Return to “General”