The AA's standpoint on Green vehicles

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:56 am

aminorjourney wrote:
I'm actually rather annoyed that the BBC of late seem to have become rather spin-oriented in the way they broadcast. I used to work for them for a while back in the 90s and I'm absolutely shocked how polarised some of the reports have gotten.

My hunch is the BBC have been encouraged to tow the party line since the big stink that resulted in the DG being given the 'heave ho' a couple of years ago. ever since then it's become more and more timmid and if you look on the website nowadays, for example, it is seriously dumed down compared to how it used to be.

I really do believe the big corporations are delighting in the recent mud slinging about alternative vehicles, particularly given how sucessful such little companies like REVA have been in stealing their lead. Perhaps the fact that there's some independants out there who are not affraid to shout ("Who Killed The Electric Car" "The Inconvenent Truth" "Farenheit 911" come to mind) and the general feeling that we really can't trust politicians at all these days has meant the bigger boys are trying more subversive tactics to keep the status quo.

I have to say there's often news stories quoting both the AA and the RAC which I honestly find rather surprising about motor transport and what we are told the public wants. I mean do you really believe that we want our vehicles tagged and tracked by satellites and RFID chips in our number plates? That's the latest bit of spin all due to the registration plate cloning which was inevitable when the DfT took traffic officers off the roads and replaced them with cameras. Of course you don't have to pay a camera wages and they bring in revinue at a phenominal rate.

Now bear in mind the average car does around 40mpg and and that works out to be about 10p a mile in petrol which is taxed at 80% now multiply that by your average mileage of between 12,000 and 15,000 miles a year. It doesn't take you long to figure why those who have a vested interest in making money from our continued filling up at the petrol stations are a bit worried about the public's genuine interest in alternative fules. Illustrated by the sucess of the G-wiz which gets built in India which is a little bit out of the loop where it comes to the traditional Atlantic alliance controls of business power. China, need I say more ?

Funny how Gee Dubyah is now pushing the "we're very concerned about carbon emissions" flag and "the future is hydrogen" one. I wonder who is going to supply all this hydrogen and where we will buy it from? Could it be the same petrochemical companies ???

But now I'm seriously going off topic so I best shut up and put away my soap box.

cedric.lynch

Postby cedric.lynch » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:30 pm

The "unbiased" BBC through its programme "Top Gear" is also campaigning to try to get the Reva/G-Wiz banned.

qdos wrote:
aminorjourney wrote:
I'm actually rather annoyed that the BBC of late seem to have become rather spin-oriented in the way they broadcast. I used to work for them for a while back in the 90s and I'm absolutely shocked how polarised some of the reports have gotten.

My hunch is the BBC have been encouraged to tow the party line since the big stink that resulted in the DG being given the 'heave ho' a couple of years ago. ever since then it's become more and more timmid and if you look on the website nowadays, for example, it is seriously dumed down compared to how it used to be.

I really do believe the big corporations are delighting in the recent mud slinging about alternative vehicles, particularly given how sucessful such little companies like REVA have been in stealing their lead. Perhaps the fact that there's some independants out there who are not affraid to shout ("Who Killed The Electric Car" "The Inconvenent Truth" "Farenheit 911" come to mind) and the general feeling that we really can't trust politicians at all these days has meant the bigger boys are trying more subversive tactics to keep the status quo.

I have to say there's often news stories quoting both the AA and the RAC which I honestly find rather surprising about motor transport and what we are told the public wants. I mean do you really believe that we want our vehicles tagged and tracked by satellites and RFID chips in our number plates? That's the latest bit of spin all due to the registration plate cloning which was inevitable when the DfT took traffic officers off the roads and replaced them with cameras. Of course you don't have to pay a camera wages and they bring in revinue at a phenominal rate.

Now bear in mind the average car does around 40mpg and and that works out to be about 10p a mile in petrol which is taxed at 80% now multiply that by your average mileage of between 12,000 and 15,000 miles a year. It doesn't take you long to figure why those who have a vested interest in making money from our continued filling up at the petrol stations are a bit worried about the public's genuine interest in alternative fules. Illustrated by the sucess of the G-wiz which gets built in India which is a little bit out of the loop where it comes to the traditional Atlantic alliance controls of business power. China, need I say more ?

Funny how Gee Dubyah is now pushing the "we're very concerned about carbon emissions" flag and "the future is hydrogen" one. I wonder who is going to supply all this hydrogen and where we will buy it from? Could it be the same petrochemical companies ???

But now I'm seriously going off topic so I best shut up and put away my soap box.

Return to “Hot off the press....”