Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
ChrisB

Re: Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

Postby ChrisB » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:09 am

rustybkts wrote:320v nominal pack voltage with 94 x 50Ah cells.
I limit the inverter current to 140A for a max 30kw power but the motor is capable of over twice that.

Ah 320vdc would bring your current right down then 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:11 am

Whooooo, hold on.

How many Tesla's are there in the BVS.

I am beginning to feel distinctly under powered here. :(

Its good news though as there seemed to be very few members actually "on the road" (hint to Timpootle!) :)

I am digging very deep in my pockets today and filling in the entry form so will see you there.
EV Lotus Elise with 30/67Kw Siemens ex Ford Ranger motor
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Electric Ride On Mower (Lynch Power!)
Bosch beard trimmer

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:25 am

After sending in my application this morning with an Emailed wad of cash, I was swiftly informed that my car was built before 2000 and so was not within the event rules! :cry:

I must say that I didn't even think that I was breaking any.

So I quickly replied that I must have made a mistake and attached an application with 2008 in the year field. :lol:

They replied stating that this is seen as a grey area and will be referred to the Club. (Royal Automobile Club no less which I am informed is not your common or garden RAC!)

Will keep you posted.
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:33 pm

rustybkts wrote:After sending in my application this morning with an Emailed wad of cash, I was swiftly informed that my car was built before 2000 and so was not within the event rules! :cry:

I must say that I didn't even think that I was breaking any..

What the ......................

That lot just go from mad to totally insane :evil: the fact they want private individuals to stump up 500 notes is madness, in my view, what on earth do you get for your 500 quid, thats what I want to know ? and then to say vehicles built before 2000 arnt included is just age'ist :lol:

I can only presume like so many of these types of events its REALLY not aimed at the end user but the corperate fat cats and media folk :roll:

It doesnt exactly show the poor old EV in a very good way if you ask me :(

Be interesting to see how you get on with them, what age is your vehicle ?

ChrisB

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 pm

1998 Lotus Elise S1 or should I say 2008!
Haven't heard anything back yet, probably convening a meeting to decide when to have a meeting to discuss it.
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:00 am

Well, I am now £500 + VAT lighter as the Royal Automobile Club (not RAC remember) have allowed my old/new Elise's entry to the Event.

If there are any spare BVS stickers, I will cadge them from one of the Tesla boys on the day or at the Electrathon which unfortunately will only be Sunday as I am overseas next week and return on the Saturday.

Now to plan the charge points for the route with London's bureaucratic charge point system being a problem for any visitor.
Mercedes have two at Milton Keynes so I will get permission from them.
Might try Tesla's showroom as they will be set up for charging.
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:20 am

Oh good, common sence at last 8)

Still find the fee a bit hard too swallow mind you :cry:

ChrisB

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 am

Trust me, it is harder to pull it out of the pocket rather than swallow it. (Double entendre?) :roll:
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:47 am

PRESS RELEASE Wednesday 15th September 2010

FIA Foundation supports RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge

The FIA Foundation, an independent UK-registered charity which manages and supports an international programme of activities promoting road safety, environmental protection and sustainable mobility is supporting fully The Royal Automobile Club's new RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge on Saturday 6 November.

The RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge is open to the latest electric, hybrid and low emission passenger cars, light commercial vehicles and motorcycles. Around 50 entries are expected with trophies awarded in different categories for vehicles judged to have made the least energy impact during the 60-mile run.

The FIA Foundation is sponsoring the new event under its role in the Global Fuel Economy Initiative (GFEI) and its 50BY50 campaign to make cars 50 per cent more fuel efficient by 2050 worldwide. A report published by the GFEI stated that a move across the global fleet towards far better fuel economy at a scale which is already technically achievable, could save over 6 billion barrels of oil per year by 2050, and close to half of CO₂ emissions from cars, as well as generate significant local air pollution benefits - and all using existing, cost-effective technologies.

The report went on to say that the Initiative will engage governments, the fuels and vehicles industries, civil society and international organisations to better understand various views on and to work toward improved fuel economy.

As a showcase for low energy use vehicles with an estimated audience of 250,000 at the ceremonial finish and presentation in Regent Street , London , the RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge will be the largest and highest profile event of its kind ever staged in the UK .

Ben Cussons, Chairman of The Royal Automobile Club Motoring Committee, says: "The support of the FIA Foundation with its leading role in the 50BY50 campaign rightly puts the RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge on the global stage. Many of the major manufacturers taking part are multi-national companies and, of course, climate change is a challenge facing the whole world."

Notes for editors

The RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge takes place on Saturday 6 November, the day before the Royal Automobile Club’s world famous London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. Starting at Madeira Drive , this unique live event will use the traditional 60-mile veteran car run route in reverse.

Provisional Timings:
Start ( Madeira Drive , Brighton ) at 08:30 to 09:00
Halfway stop ( Crawley ) 09:30 to 10:30
Finish (Pall Mall, London ) 11:15 to 12:30
Presentation ( Regent Street , London ) 12:30 to 16:00

The formal finish will be in Pall Mall followed by a special ceremonial finish and presentation in Regent Street . Here, the vehicles will join the display of more than 100 pre-1905 motor cars in the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run International Concours in front of an estimated 250,000 audience.

More than 30 vehicles have entered with over 50 expected to participate in this inaugural event. They are coming from manufacturers, institutions, individual motoring pioneers and private owners. The event will be staged, promoted and judged in the three categories – Electric, Hybrid and Internal Combustion Engine. Within each category, entries will be measured in various modes for the energy used during the drive from Madeira Drive to Pall Mall . The challenge will be to complete the event with the least energy impact.

Each of the 25 category winners will receive an engraved Royal Automobile Club trophy and the overall winner will receive the coveted Royal Automobile Club Gold Medal. There will also be an award for the best private entry and each classified finisher will receive a Club medal and certificate.

The RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge will be judged by the event's Technical Panel comprising: Ben Cussons, Chairman (The Royal Automobile Club Motoring Committee), Dr David Bizley (Director of Technical RAC), Richard Parry-Jones (industry), John Wood (Institution of Mechanical Engineers), Dr Ricardo Martinez-Botas (Imperial College London) Steve Cropley (Autocar) and John Hilton (Flybrid Systems).

Since its creation in 1897, The Royal Automobile Club has actively supported and promoted the development of motoring in Great Britain including the introduction of the famous 1000 Mile Trial of 1900; the first motor race (the Tourist Trophy) in 1905; the first British Grand Prix in 1926 and, since 1930, the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. This celebrates the Emancipation Run of November 1896, an historic event that promoted and demonstrated the capabilities of the then recently invented horseless carriage at a time when electric and steam power, as well as the internal combustion engine, were competing for mass-production dominance.

In March 2010, The RAC Foundation, one of the sponsors of the event, produced a report on the potential of low carbon vehicle technology entitled Driving Down Emissions. The report concluded: The challenge is not only to stimulate both the supply and demand side of the low carbon vehicle market, but to make sure progress on each happens in tandem. It will not be easy but it must be done.

For more information about the RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge, including regulations and entry form, visit www.futurecarchallenge.com

For further information on the GFEI’s 50 by 50 campaign visit www.50by50campaign.org
The RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge is kindly supported by the RAC, Goodyear, the RAC Foundation, the FIA Foundation, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Imperial College London; City of Westminster , Brighton & Hove City Council, Crawley Borough Council, Central Sussex College and the Regent Street Association.

The RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge is organised and promoted on behalf of The Royal Automobile Club by Motion Works – the organising team of the annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run.

Rebecca Nicholls
Press Officer, Lifestyle Media
Motion Works (LBVCR) Limited
Silverstone Innovation Centre, Silverstone Circuit Northamptonshire NN12 8GX England
Tel: +44(0)1452 260063
Mob: +44(0)7749 852481
Fax: +44(0)1327 856 025
Email: rebecca@motion-works.co.uk
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:08 pm

rustybkts wrote:Trust me, it is harder to pull it out of the pocket rather than swallow it. (Double entendre?) :roll:

I bet it is, I take my hat off to you though, theres no way on gods earth that I could even think of stumping up that sort of dosh just to drive from Brighton to London, in electricity use that would be worth something like 15'000 miles in the Berlingo to me :shock:

ChrisB

Return to “Events”