'Battery Electric Vehicles'

General BVS related area
MB

'Battery Electric Vehicles'

Postby MB » Fri May 23, 2008 9:05 pm

I'm reading a book called 'Battery Electric Vehicles', written by S.M. Hills, A.M.I.E.E.

It is a fascinating book about electric vehicles, and I wanted to share this with you all:

PREFACE

By the outbreak of the war in 1939 it was evident that the electric vehicle industry had definitely established itself, and the output for that year was nearly four times the output of 1936, sufficient indication that real and solid progress was being made.

Unfortunately, the restriction of steel supplies has led to an inevitable slowing down in production, though a greater number of delivery electrics on the road would have been a godsend when petrol became in short supply.

Despite the progress made in the last decade, there seem to be many electrical engineers who fail to realise the extent of the industry, the variety of models on the market, and the real service that electric vehicles can render in towns and urban districts, and it is hoped that to them this volume may prove to be of assistance.

With the modern tendency towards what may be described as big business, firms are operating mixed fleets to provide for the needs of branches or depots in towns and in urban and rural districts, so that the transport manager is interested in the use of electrics.

Again, both in the electrical and the transport industries there is the younger engineer or student who desires to obtain a basic knowledge of this subject.

This volume may therefore be said to have been prepared to interest essentially the electrical engineer, the transport manager, and the student, while there must also be a number of prospective users or owners of small fleets who would be able to gain advantage by reading its pages.

As it is not altogether advantageous to study a subject without knowing what has gone before, some historical matter is included, while in the second part of Chapter III a review of present types of vehicle has been presented in order that the reader may obtain an impression of the current trend of manufacture.

Likewise, a chapter on batteries has been included, because there are differences that affect the design and utility of traction batteries which do not apply to the stationary battery or accumulator, and the chapter on battery charging, together the one on maintenance of vehicles, it is hoed will be of value to the transport manager or user as well as to the student.

Transport is not, however, confined to working on the road, and consequently battery-electric trucks and locomotives have been given some reference, so that the industrial field might not be neglected, and the subject of battery-electric transport covered as a whole.

The literature on the subject, so far as the author is aware and as the bibliography shows, is confined to two books, both first published more than twenty years ago, and a number of papers read before technical institutions, together with articles published on the subject in electrical and transport journals.

There is one monthly journal on the subject – Electric Vehicles, published by Electrical Press, Ltd. – with which they author has been associated in an editorial capacity for some eighteen years and to the publishers of which he is greatly indebted for permission to use material from that journal. He is also indebted to various manufacturers (acknowledged in the text) for the loan of drawings or photographs and supplying information concerning their products. Lastly, but by no means least, he acknowledges his indebtedness to his friend and colleague, Mr. F. W. Rogers, for many helpful suggestions, and for reading the manuscript and proof pages.

Stanley M. Hills, A.M.I.E.E.

This book was first published in 1943.

ChopperMan

Postby ChopperMan » Sat May 24, 2008 8:23 am

I don't mean to get all philosophical, but isn't it wonderful how things change, but remain the same!

60 years on and we discuss the same issues and face the same challenges.
Electric chopper ebike with PUMA motor (1.2kW) and 36V 20Ah LiFePO4 batteries. 23 mph & 20 mile range with no peddling (Sorry, what are peddles for?).

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat May 24, 2008 9:14 am

I couldn't agree more!

MB

Postby MB » Sun May 25, 2008 9:43 am

It is a fascinating book. There are chapters on regenerative braking, different motor technologies, the pros and cons of the different battery technologies and descriptions of all the different cars and commercial vehicles available. The most interesting is the Wilson Electric Car which has similar performance and range to a dc-drive G-Wiz!

andybarton

Postby andybarton » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:08 am

I stumbled across a copy of this in my uncle's garage. This is a fascinating book and if you work in electric vehicles, I'd recommend getting a copy. See if you can beat your rivals from the early 1900's !!

dargles

Postby dargles » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:08 am

Thought I'd just pick up on this thread and mention that I came across a copy advertised on the www and for sale in Ardrossan... So I now have a copy :D . As you say, fascinating reading! Thanks for recommending it, folks.
Regards, David

cianof

Postby cianof » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:08 am

This book might be public domain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain#British_law

"Published Crown copyright works become public domain at the end of the year 50 years after they were published, unless the author of the work held copyright and assigned it to the Crown. In that case, the copyright term is the usual life of author plus 70 years."

This book was published in 1943, by Newnes.

So, unless the author of the work held copyright and assigned it to the Crown this book should be in the public domain.

Can't seem to find a copy that's available for sale. Every time I find one, I contact the seller and the book has already been sold.

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:41 am

There are 4 copies listed at Abebooks.

HTH
Tim Crumpton

cianof

Postby cianof » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks Tim, will check those out.

Return to “General”