Aren't electric motors nice...

General BVS related area
dargles

Aren't electric motors nice...

Postby dargles » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:00 am

OK, I guess you guys know this already, but...

I had a problem with the wipers not working on my 42 year-old car. No, it wasn't the fuse, or the earth, or the wiring - it was the motor. But being a 42 year-old motor, it was designed to be serviceable. So I took it all apart, cleaned out the rust and grease gunk, treated it, cleaned up the electrical bits, and put it back together again. And guess what - it now works perfectly again. Hopefully, it will be good for another 42 years before the next service...

Try running an ICE motor for 42 years between services... :lol:

Regards, David

ChrisB

Re: Aren't electric motors nice...

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Sadly though I wouldnt be surprised if you could run a "old" ICE for 42yrs without a service, its the modern stuff you cant :roll:

Lets take a modern electric motor from say my least favorite bit of equipment, a modern "Flymo" lawnmower, these are possibley the nastiest bits of electrical machinery I have ever come across, the motors are so built to a price it amazes me they last longer than 12mths 1day :roll: there are zero servicable parts, everything is made out of pressed bits of steel, nasty crimped bits of what look like yellow coloured metal that try to pass themselves off as brass :roll: and then they rate them at totally daft outputs of around 1.7kw :shock: .............and thats from something the size of a cotton reel :roll:

Its no wonder the bearings fail, segments fall out, brush holders just melt and the feild windings just give up the ghost at the first whiff of an actual load :cry: ............ yet people carry on buying them, cos there cheap and they wont pay for a well built well designed machine anylonger :roll:

Theres also very few people now who actually know how to service stuff which doesnt help, and your modern garage just appears to randomly replace bits in a vain hope of fixing the fault :(

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “General”