Possible help with dissertation questionnaire please?

General BVS related area
EV-MAN

Possible help with dissertation questionnaire please?

Postby EV-MAN » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

My name is Tom and I am a student here in the UK. I am currently part way through my dissertation looking at the potential for widespread EV take up in the UK. This is a massively interesting topic for many reasons. I am a very keen motorist myself, and was great to recently visit the Geneva Motorshow where there were many world premieres of EV's from many manufacturers.

I was wondering if you good folks could take the time to fill out my very short questionnaire aimed at people who currently own electrically powered vehicles. It will provide me with very useful data in order to assist me with my dissertation. The dissertation is in no way bashing electric cars, in fact quite the opposite.

Your input will be very much appreciated.

Tom

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dHNqbE9KaHBhY1hxVk9vS3dNemh5S0E6MQ&theme=0AX42CRMsmRFbUy01MGMxMmMzMS1hZDI5LTQwNDYtOGRkMS1mN2E5Y2ZjYmUzMzk&ifq

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2966

hohisilver

Re: Possible help with dissertation questionnaire please?

Postby hohisilver » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:00 pm

I would be quite happy to fill in your questionnaire but it appears to be aimed specifically at electric car ownership and use. Would it not be better worded as "electric vehicle", as otherwise this rules out owners of electric motorcycles?
Ian.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

MB

Postby MB » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:16 pm

That's a fair comment, actually. There is a big assumption that vehicles of the future are going to be very similar to cars of today, except they'll be powered by electricity.

My own research suggests that this may not actually be the case: electric cars may be part of the future, but actually, the electric vehicle revolution may be something entirely different. I wrote an article about this yesterday that you may find of interest: http://www.thechargingpoint.com/2011/03 ... dy-here-2/
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

EV-MAN

Postby EV-MAN » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:56 pm

hohisilver wrote:I would be quite happy to fill in your questionnaire but it appears to be aimed specifically at electric car ownership and use. Would it not be better worded as "electric vehicle", as otherwise this rules out owners of electric motorcycles?

You make a good point. However, for the purpose of my dissertation and therefore my research I am looking specifically at electric cars only. However, thank you for taking the time to view the survey and offer feedback.
MB wrote:That's a fair comment, actually. There is a big assumption that vehicles of the future are going to be very similar to cars of today, except they'll be powered by electricity.

My own research suggests that this may not actually be the case: electric cars may be part of the future, but actually, the electric vehicle revolution may be something entirely different. I wrote an article about this yesterday that you may find of interest: http://www.thechargingpoint.com/2011/03 ... dy-here-2/

Very interesting article, I shall take a closer read of it now and let you know my thoughts on it soon.

Tom

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Form filled in and sent 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Tom - The note on question 7 needs amending
(6)Is your commute to work using an electrically powered car?

* Yes
* Kind of (choose this option for a hybrid)
* No

(7)Why do you choose not to commute in your electric car? Please don't answer this question if you answered "No" to the above question.

I think you meant "If you answered 'No' to owning an electric car then please don't answer this question.", the same as you wrote for Q8.
Tim Crumpton

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Also the choices for Q8
Why do you choose not to commute in your electric car?

don't give me the option of walking (the answer I needed to give), or cycling, for instance.

Survey writing is a difficult thing, trying to foresee every situation, but yours was a bit too simple, I'm afraid to say. I fear the results will be meaningless.

I hope you will take the above as constructive criticism. Not offending people on internet forums is just as difficult as survey writing, as we have seen too often before.

HTH
Tim Crumpton

EV-MAN

Postby EV-MAN » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far.

Also, thanks for all the comments picking up on some errors I have made. I agree, it is very difficult to predict the large number of possibilities that people may answer.

Many Thanks

Tom

Return to “General”