Good link to convert EV skeptics

General BVS related area

Should the UK have a car sales mandate to sell EVs?

Yes, all car companies must offer EVs in the UK
No votes
Yes, the big car companies must offer EVs in the UK
30%
No, but EV sales must be incentivised to reward EV producers
60%
No, if theres a demand then free market principles will fulfil it.
10%

Total votes: 10

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:05 pm

GreenerMachine wrote:So very true. Shame it looks like those bright enough to realise this are living in the US and not in Europe though.

Don't count on it it's just the Americans tend to make more noise than us Brits I can assure you there's lots of Brits here who know it and further more are actually doing things about it. :wink: And I'm not talking about a handful of people either I'm talking numbers in the thousands.

Tom Thomson

Postby Tom Thomson » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:38 pm

Many of the posts on this subject seem to imply that the car companys are deliberately withholding EVs. What incentive do they have to do this? If the manufacturers (cars or any other product) are good at anything, it is producing an item that the public wants to buy.
tommyt

booboo

Postby booboo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:45 pm

Tom Thomson wrote:Many of the posts on this subject seem to imply that the car companys are deliberately withholding EVs. What incentive do they have to do this? If the manufacturers (cars or any other product) are good at anything, it is producing an item that the public wants to buy.
tommyt

Only my view ,but I think the problems arise when a potential purchaser is faced with the option of having to pay an inflated premium price for the luxury of opting for an EV, thereby maintaining the status quo for cheaper conventional vehicles. It is not in the manufacturers interests to promote EV's simply because they are tooled up for petrol & diesel vehicles. :wink:

I suspect only Government incentives will push things along, but I doubt there is the desire to do so. :cry:
London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

electric cat

Postby electric cat » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 am

Surely the main incentive the car Cos have is their very strong links with the oil Cos - as mentioned in WKTEC we are about at peak oil - ie half of all known oil has been sold at a very low average price compared with the current price. Therefore the potential value of what is left is some mega value which i can't even begin to calculate as you have to anticipate future price hikes and inflation etc.

The one fly in the ointment is the accelerating green awareness of joe public and the emissions regs. Lets make them sweat!

The only sensible legislation would be a global one that very heavily taxed the burning of an incredibly valuable non renewable raw material that should rationed for the benefit of future generations.

Of course this will never happen as we all know that all governments are in the pockets of the large corporates. Where is a modern Ghandi? Any one fancy an ev blockade of a distribution depot?

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:54 am

electric cat wrote:Any one fancy an ev blockade of a distribution depot?

Oddly enough the government made these a criminal offence after the 2000 blockade brought the country to it's knees in 3 days. Last time it was attempted the drivers had their businesses and licences taken from them. So much for a free country huh ? It's worse here now than Russia and I'm not kidding.

Teslas fag packet

Postby Teslas fag packet » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:24 am

It's worse here now than Russia and I'm not kidding.

don't get me started if the "man" knew what was going on in my head, there would be a black helicopter on my lawn by lunch, or does he. where's my foil hat.
Yorkshire isn't just a place, it's a state of mind!

http://www.minievolution.com/

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:41 am

Get a smaller lawn :wink:

I've got a tree smack in the middle of mine :lol:

Return to “General”