HELP!! Advice on better/ modified batteries for my Leaf

General BVS related area
250GTO

HELP!! Advice on better/ modified batteries for my Leaf

Postby 250GTO » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Hello!

I drive a 2015 Leaf daily (2k/pm) and have a damaged 2012 Leaf (with easy repair) to play with.

The batteries are of unknown (but likely to be in poor) condition - and I WANT MORE RANGE.

Ideally, I'd like to build in a longer range battery pack (completely stripped down) ie 48 or 60 kw/h.

Is there an expert enthusiast out there to advise and/ or guide me/ technicians (or to carry out the work yourself/ recommend someone)?

I have read many opinions on how to do this: a) using batteries from a driven/ crashed Leaf, b) buying new pattern batteries from China, c) using different batteries altogether.

I also wonder if it is feasible and beneficial to replace the Leaf OE charger with something faster/ technically better/ more up to date...?

If you feel you might help, please, do drop me a line.

glyndwr1998

Re: HELP!! Advice on better/ modified batteries for my Leaf

Postby glyndwr1998 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi,

I'm no expert, but my thinking is you would need to add the whole extra battery and connect it in parallel with the original battery to ensure the voltages are the same.

Your problem is the 2012 battery is slightly different to the 2015 battery so not a good match, you will probably find the 2012 battery go first due to differing internal resistance and capacity.
You would be better matching a gen 2 battery with a gen 2 car or gen 1 battery with a gen1 car.

Then finding the space to mount the extra battery safely, and manage the bms in the extra battery etc... Not an easy task to be honest.

Anthony.

skooler

Re: HELP!! Advice on better/ modified batteries for my Leaf

Postby skooler » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:54 pm

We did this with a gen1 and an extra 24kwh from another gen1. basically. Electronically it all works but the weight destroys the handling so its not really a viable mod.

Stick 350kg in your boot if you want to give it a go :)

If you want more range then buy a tesla or convert something :)
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Return to “General”