Doing up an Enfield - good idea or not?

Do you own an Enfield electric car or want to know about them, then his is your area.
simonw

Doing up an Enfield - good idea or not?

Postby simonw » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Hello all,

I recently spotted an Enfield in the graveyard at work (once upon a time the Electricity Council Research Centre) and thought it looked interesting. I've asked if I can have it as a project and I can. I'm an electrical engineer, so I'm thinking of winter evenings connecting bits and bobs together.

Is it worth doing up? Batteries haven't been used in ten years, after a refit in the 80's. The car was used for on-site post delivery, I think until the site became much smaller. It's 16 miles to work and I was hoping it could be used for commuting - but I don't fancy a 40mph top speed on the dual carriageway. One of the guys who refitted it is still around, so I spoke to him. Apparently the best it could manage was 20 miles range, and he wasn't impressed with the strength of the seat fixings.

I'd look forwards to a project like this- but what about the downsides? Can they be improved and is it worth bothering? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Simon

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Woooh You're in luck! There's an Enfield Workshop weekend where they are going to be going through maintenance and restoration of Enfields comming up very very shortly. Have a look on the main website www.batteryvehiclesociety.org and you'll find the date on the RHS Click it and it should take you to a page with the details.

Good luck !

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:51 am

...and the full link here

Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

simonw

Postby simonw » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Yes the weekend would be a good chance to ask all those questions, but I'm on a Stag do. Are there any Enfield owners in the North West I could contact?

Return to “Enfield Cars”