Remote cut off switch

Have you an battery powered lawn mower or kiddy car or anything that is not designed for the road, be it home made or bought, then this is a area for you
geekygrilli

Remote cut off switch

Postby geekygrilli » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi guys

I'm currently making an EV for my daughter (3 years old).

She is pretty good at driving and knows how to avoid things, but I would like to install a remote cut off switch (radio controlled) so I can cut the power if she loses control/concentration.

Does anyone know of any off the shelf Single channel Tx/Rx set ups I'd be able hook up to a relay?

Many thanks

Christopher

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:52 pm

I think the easiest way to do this might be to use a remote doorbell, you can buy these for about a fiver on eBay. You should be able to drive a small relay from the bell activation signal, I think, although it might need a bit of experimentation to find the best way to do it.

If you arrange the main power relay to be latching, with it's coil fed through the normally closed contacts of the remotely controlled relay, then a brief activation of the remote would unlatch the power relay. It would need to be reset via a momentary button/switch to put the power back on.

This should be fairly fail-safe for an application like this, as interference would most probably turn the power off. The only significant risk is that the interference might block the receiver, but I think this is probably unlikely, particularly if the range from the button to the vehicle is relatively short.

Jeremy

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Sounds like an easy option, although I'd like to check the range, most doorbells only really do a 300mtr range in the open.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:29 am

I think 300m will be OK, but with a top speed of 16mph, she'll be able to get away pretty swiftly!

When finished it will be a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang replica, based on a mobility scooter... Whats good about the drive system on this is that when you come off the throttle it automatically applies an electric brake in the motor.

I've found this, which looks just the thing...plus the pull up ariel looks smart!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

I'll post some pics when its finished (just the wheel arches to make - oh, and the wings and props and the inflatable dingy bit...)

RobSmith

Re: Remote cut off switch

Postby RobSmith » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 pm

I worked as a designer at Lola Cars in Huntingdon.
What we used on the Le-Mans cars was just a mains switch which had an inbuilt triggering system connected with a smaller signal wire. They were made by MK or Wylex or similar. We cut off the mounting lugs to make them fit in.
Rob

Return to “Non road going EV's”