Grid Tie Inverters

Do you make your own power ? be it Solar or Wind. Then this is a place for all home energy chat.
retepsnikrep

Grid Tie Inverters

Postby retepsnikrep » Sat May 08, 2010 6:34 pm

There are quite a few reasonably priced grid tie inverters now appearing especially on e-bay and of course from china.

Now I have two wind turbines dumping into some old TS lithium cells for my garage use, but the idea of putting that into the house via a grid tie inverter is appealing.

What happens if you have a battery buffer between turbine and inverter and why is this discouraged? If you feed one of these inverters via an unrestricted power source (battery) within it's voltage rating what happens. I note they have a wide input voltage range.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

timpootle

Re: Grid Tie Inverters

Postby timpootle » Fri May 14, 2010 9:24 am

Who says a battery buffer is 'discouraged', Peter?

I don't know much about this technology, but would have thought extra storage anywhere was a good idea.

Maybe you have to set the maximum current the inverter can take from the battery, to stop it all disappearing in one go?

I have read a little bit about Vehicle-to-Grid systems which would do exactly what you are suggesting.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “Home Energy Area”