UK Thunder Sky Bulk Purchase Thread

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
retepsnikrep

UK Thunder Sky Bulk Purchase Thread

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:29 am

I'm starting this thread to gather firm expressions of interest and commitment from other UK EV enthusiasts who would be up for participating in another UK bulk purchase of TS cells. Note the bulk purchase is for LCP/LMP cells only not LFP which have licensing problems.

http://www.thunder-sky.com/products_en. ... 66&fid2=68

I am hosting some of the TS smaller cell pdf files in my own webspace as there's is very slow. Note pdf data files are not available for all cells due to broken links on TS site :( Perhaps someone can point us to some elsewhere!

http://www.solarvan.co.uk/TS-LMP-Cells.zip
http://www.solarvan.co.uk/TS-LCP-Cells.zip

This purchase would be run along the same lines as the first UK one, and would involve money up front to the UK co-ordinator (Reap Systems) and a minimum 12 week delivery time via sea to Southampton, where all cells would be collected by the individuals from the group. You should bank on no guarantees whatsoever, and make your mind up on that basis. This bulk purchase is not affiliated with or backed by the BVS or any individual.

The price I/we are aiming for is £1.00 - £1.10 per Ah inc vat and import duty/shipping etc. So a 50ah cell will cost £50-£55 each. We could get lucky and depending on total quantity maybe get a lower price!

I'm happy to put my money up front as I did before for a new set of 45 x TS-LCP50AHA Cells for my Honda Insight PHEV project.

Add your name and comments to this thread together with details and quantities of cells your are interested in. Note no LFP cells!

I will liase with Reap Systems so questions on here only at this time please, I know they are busy moving offices.

Final commitment will be required by the end of April 08. This gives us a month to spread the word and make up our minds. If we cannot raise a big enough order then the purchase may not go ahead at all, so the more the merrier. :P

Peter
Last edited by retepsnikrep on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:58 pm

*interested*

Can you tell me more about the difference between Cobalt and FePO4? And what's all this about licensing problems? I thought that only applied to the US.
Tim Crumpton

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:24 pm

timpootle wrote:*interested*

Can you tell me more about the difference between Cobalt and FePO4? And what's all this about licensing problems? I thought that only applied to the US.

I can't give you any more info than that on the TS web site, I suggest you do some web research on the difference and look at the downloadable cell info pdf files on the TS site.

The licensing is basically in dispute and 'Reap Systems' will not import the FePo4 cells as they could be confiscated/impounded on arrival. You may be able to get them elsewhere but not as part of this bulk UK purchase unless the situation changes.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.

PHEV

Postby PHEV » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:47 pm

Aww shame, i'd have gone for some lifepo4's :cry: That will be phostechs fault...
*Mazda MX-5, 300KW peak, 300v 20KW/h lipo pack, Soliton 1000A controller. 1100KG.
*Ducati SS twin Agni 80HP peak.
*Aprilia RS motorcycle, 500A controller, Cedric's AgniMotor, 96v 6kw/h LiPo pack, 130kg, 90mph.
www.jozztek.com

martinwinlow

Count me in

Postby martinwinlow » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:42 pm

... for 40 x LCP90's or 80 LCP50's.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:43 pm

Thread open for bussiness again 8)

Peter would you like to elaborate on REAP's envolvement in the order.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

retepsnikrep

Appologies for the confusion!

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Appologies to all for the confusion :(

I should have used the term 'Co-ordinator' instead of 'Agent' when describing 'Reap Systems' involvement in this matter.

My poor choice of words i'm afraid.

I had spoken via e-mail with (Reap) before posting and they are willing to act as the 'co-ordinator' again for another UK bulk purchase.

I'm trying to take some of the load off them by discussing it here and avoiding them being bombarded with questions. They are currently moving offices.

So to clear up the points raised.

1) 'Reap Systems' are not 'Agents' for TS. They will act as the final order co-ordinator as they have previously co-ordinated UK TS bulk orders with considerable sucess, and have significant experience with the TS cells.

2) As they are not 'Agents' they do not have a credit arrangement. So it's money up front as before.

3) AFAIK there is no supplier in the UK of TS cells.

Thanks and regards Peter :)

PS Please keep the interest and commitment coming! 8)
Regards Peter

GregsGarage

Re: UK Thunder Sky Bulk Purchase Thread

Postby GregsGarage » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:16 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:

The price I/we are aiming for is £1.00 - £1.10 per Ah inc vat and import duty/shipping etc. So a 50ah cell will cost £50-£55 each. We could get lucky and depending on total quantity maybe get a lower price!

How did you arrive at the figure of £1.00 - £1.10 per Ah and is this for LCP or LMP cells? The best price I have seen on the Thundersky website was for quantity above 500,000 Ah. At that level the prices that I have seen is LCP at USD 2.60 and LMP at USD 0.80. If you add 25% to cover VAT and shipping, etc and assume the dollar is 2-1 that would work out to LCP at somewere around £1.60/Ah and LMP at £0.50/Ah.

If we can manage LCP for £1.10Ah I might be interested in 21x200Ah (I would have to find the funds before I could commit).

bapou

Postby bapou » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:29 pm

I would take 4x LCP 90AH, or 92AH, if somebody of you could
put them in a parcel to ship them to Germany.

Thomas Laepple tlaepple (at) awi.de

retepsnikrep

Pricing

Postby retepsnikrep » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:31 pm

The price of £1.00-£1.10 per Ah is our target price and comes from 'Reap Systems' We won't know an accurate or final price until we have suffcient expressions of interest and they (Reap) have approached TS on our behalf for a quote on our bulk order. I believe the price quoted varies wildy on the TS site and is clearly only a guide.

Once we have a firm quote on our order volume people can then decide if they are in or out. :shock:

We need the interest first. Type of cells and quantity people want. :wink:
Regards Peter

Return to “All things battery related”