Southport LiFePO4 dealer

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 am

That's good news Mary, maybe you won't have to buy that trailer after all :D

I thought you and Tim were getting the lithium iron (LFP) cells though? At 5 kg each these cells must be lithium cobalt (LCP), just judging by comparison with the Thundersky cell weights: http://www.everspring.net/product-battery-pricing.htm

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Tue May 13, 2008 10:28 am

MalcolmB wrote:That's good news Mary, maybe you won't have to buy that trailer after all :D

I thought you and Tim were getting the lithium iron (LFP) cells though? At 5 kg each these cells must be lithium cobalt (LCP), just judging by comparison with the Thundersky cell weights: http://www.everspring.net/product-battery-pricing.htm

It is the LFP we are getting. So I'm suprised at what we have been told, but I hope that what Tim's contact told us is correct.

Still, I am confident that we'll find a way to make this work regardless. We can beef up the suspension if needed.

Tim remains concerned, but Tesla and I keep telling him it's all going to be alright :-)

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Tue May 13, 2008 10:45 am

Hi Mary,

I'm not trying to worry you, just trying make sure you get what you expect. Something that Tim said on Saturday just occurred to me. He mentioned that the cells are going to be strapped together by the manufacturer. As far as I know this is usually only necessary for LCP cells. LFP cells don't normally require compression. If anyone thinks I've got this wrong please put me straight though!

electricvehicles

Postby electricvehicles » Tue May 13, 2008 11:43 am

I really hope the manufacturer is wrong :?
This has been cut and pasted directly from their web site:

Capability Parameters:(unit)
Model HP¡ªP200Ah
Nominal Voltage 3.2V
Battery Capacity 200Ah
Internal Resistance ¡Ü0.25m¦¸
Cut-off Discharging Voltage ¡ÃÂ

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Tue May 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Dave, that looks like gibberish to me. Can you show us the original link?
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

electricvehicles

Postby electricvehicles » Tue May 13, 2008 2:21 pm

MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Wed May 14, 2008 7:26 am

The data that Tim has received from the manufacturer is in fact different from what is on their website, different dimensions, for example.

As for weight, the website says less than or equal to 8kg, but as I said, Tim was told 5kg on the phone yesterday. Still awaiting confirmation on that weight though. And if it is more, then we hope to do clever things with the suspension ;-)

Regarding the strapping, not too sure on that one yet. Tim asked if they needed strapping, and was told that they would take care of that. But I have a hunch they are just talking about strapping the cells together into batteries for ease of handling, as opposed to because it is necessary. Don't quote me on that though!

Currently our batteries are still in production, so we are still ironing out a few of the details. But then, that's the joy of a project like this :-)

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Wed May 14, 2008 1:41 pm

You're probably right about the strapping, but doesn't your UK contact (TYC Track) have any more information about the cells?

With China being the only affordable source of lithium cells right now it seems the European EV industry is desperately short of reliable contacts. This has to be the biggest single obstacle for independent EV builders. I guess compared to their domestic market we're just small fry, so they don't put a great deal of effort into marketing to the English-speaking world. If I weren't so lazy I'd start learning the language :roll:

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed May 14, 2008 4:32 pm

I do actually have a contact at China HiPower I can speak to

GregsGarage

Postby GregsGarage » Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 pm

The info on the Hipower site is completely different than the actual spec sheets I have seen. I suspect that the website is put together by the marketing department who haven't actually talked to the engineers about what they actually have for sale!:roll:

The 200ah are 5kg according to the specs. They are rated for 1C cont. and 3C for 15 seconds, so not suitable for sporting applications but if you are after range and they could be just the thing. I will report on mine which I hope to receive in June.

Greg
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

Return to “All things battery related”