Charger wierdness

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
badnewswade

Charger wierdness

Postby badnewswade » Thu May 01, 2008 6:11 pm

My charger is only charging my new batts up to 41v! That's 13.6 (recurring) per cell, and it ought to be 14.6-14.9 per cell (up to 45v for the whole pack), what's going on? Is this OK or should I replace the charger?
34 Watt Hours per mile, or > 700 MPG. What, me, smug?

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 01, 2008 10:43 pm

mmmmmmmmm without knowing how the charger functions fully it might be the batts need to be cycles a couple of times.

Of course it could be the charger just aint set up right from day one :?

Did you ever measure the volts when you first got the bike ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Thu May 01, 2008 11:29 pm

I did indeed, sadly the spreadsheet in question managed to vanish into the electronic ether about a month ago. As I recall I think it was around 41 point something.

If it's not set up correctly - How would I set it up right? It doesn't seem to have any way of adjusting it.

I'll try and get to the meet tomorrow with the device.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri May 02, 2008 8:47 am

Could be that the charger specs have drifted I suppose ??

When I say set up I mean set from the factory , I doubt theres any user adjustment.

Best to take it to a meet and see if theres anyone there whos got a voltmeter and some screwdrivers etc :wink:

ChrisB

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Fri May 02, 2008 1:05 pm

Yeah, about the meets, it's really difficult to attend because they're always in remote suburban locations that are impossible to access unless you own a car. (or don't mind being stung for loads of cash by public transport)

Is there any chance of there being any meetings somewhere more accessible? Don't want to be comedic but I don't like suburbia that much at the best of times. It seems to be a really good place to go to get beaten up because of how you look. And it always reminds me of the old joke about roads taking you from A to B at the expense of C, which is anywhere in between :lol:

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri May 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Ah well in that case how about holding your own meet 8)

I dont think all of suburbia is that bad or.......

It seems to be a really good place to go to get beaten up because of how you look.

I suppose you could say I live in Suburbia :? well theres other houses round me but I have water frontage and views of Chichester harbour and the Southdowns the only thing thats likely to beat me up if the Mrs for me leaving a stack of batteries in the kitchen "for test purposes" :oops: :lol:

ChrisB

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Sat May 03, 2008 12:48 pm

Ah, sorry about that, was in a bit of a bad mood. Went to the Bristol pub meet yesterday, it was great. Turns out that 41v is normal after all; one could possibly tune it up to get an extra volt out of it, I suppose, but much more than that could damage the battery.

Got 41.1 this charge; then again I did leave it on overnight.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 03, 2008 4:33 pm

badnewswade wrote:Got 41.1 this charge; then again I did leave it on overnight.

mmmmmm I'd like to see AT LEAST 41.4v on a set of sealed Pb's and to be honest on a set that are used for cyclic use then something around the 42.6v or your going to start to run into balance issues and early failure :?

ChrisB

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Sat May 03, 2008 5:56 pm

What about new ones- don't they need a few cycles before they charge up to full capacity?

lives in hope

electricvehicles

Postby electricvehicles » Sat May 03, 2008 7:18 pm

I am in agreement with Chris on this one

Under ideal conditions I would like to see each battery attaining 14.1 volts. making a total of 42.3V.
You might have a sulphated battery, its not un-common even with new batteries, especially if thay have travelled 1/2 way round the world, been in a warehouse for weeks before receiving a charge.
Might be worth charging each battery independantly and seeing what voltage it attaines.
Better still why not take them back to the retailer who charged you a fortune 100 odd quid and get them to charge them up and check their capacity

Return to “All things battery related”