Battery Monitor Chip

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
hat27533

Battery Monitor Chip

Postby hat27533 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi,

Those of you interested in electronics might find this page useful, it shows a chip for monitoring batteries.

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1037,C1134,P86662

Measures up to 12 Li-Ion Cells in Series (60V Max) per chip, these are stackable so more can be monitored.

Relatively cheap too.
British Motors For British EV's (anyone make em?)

http://nnbs.blogspot.com

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Wow - what a coincidence !
I have been thinking of something exactly like that but in discretes. But just went with a 12 way wiring loom for the moment :-)

What would the serial interface be ?

It looks programmable so do you think it would be ok for NiCds ?

Unfortunately, I will not have time to make one at moment as doing lots of other things.

If someone wants to make and sell them for Berlingos/106s I would have at least one, maybe two ;-)

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:46 pm

This looks useful for my project, too. The HiPower 'Intelligent Charger' provides overvolt protection when charging, but I need something to sense low voltage in use and talk to the Citroen/Sagem controller to enable the 'creep-mode' and ultimately cut-out.

How was your discrete system going to work, Rob? Do you think this chip is the way forward? I have been following the BMS thread from PeterP and Greg, but I prefer the centralised approach rather than one board per cell. Can someone explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Tim Crumpton

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm

How was your discrete system going to work, Rob?
Do you think this chip is the way forward?

It was just going to be a low voltage detect for each cell using either a detector on each cell or sort of multiplexor and voltage detect. However, I was struggling with the standby current drain if permanently connected to each cell or extra complexity of switching the lines out. Anyway, in (my out of date electronics knowledge) I would say that this is "just what the designer order". It also has the temp sensing as well.

It also seems to provide an external current dump for over charging which would need to handle a far bit of power. Worst case scenario is when it would need to dump all the power that one pack would take, ie 13A at (6x6v=) 36V = 468w

I have been following the BMS thread from PeterP and Greg, but I prefer the centralised approach rather than one board per cell. Can someone explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of each ?

I must admit I haven't been watching this thread, so you would be in best position to know.

electricmini

Postby electricmini » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:47 pm

I've been waiting months for Linear Tech to release this chip to production!

If it delivers, it'll be very useful.

It has switchable low-current bypass for each cell, so you can use this to gradually nudge the cells into line if they're out-of-balance (which they will be in a long series string, eventually)

I also like the isolated daisy-chain comms ports (looks like a SPI/Microwire port)
A microcontroller/computer of some sort would be needed to talk to these chips.

I feel another project coming on....

(woah... gotta finish my EV first!)

Richard (electricmini)
Electric Supra project
http://www.supralectrix.com/ElectricSupra.html

hat27533

Glad I posted this

Postby hat27533 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I am glad I posted this, I thought it might be useful.

Like the Supra website BTW :D
British Motors For British EV's (anyone make em?)

http://nnbs.blogspot.com

Return to “All things battery related”