batteries

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Tom Thomson

batteries

Postby Tom Thomson » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:20 am

A friend of mine is trying to convince me that his lead-acids have a "memory" and need to be periodically discharged completely. Any thoughts?
tommyt

GregsGarage

Re: batteries

Postby GregsGarage » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi Tom,

Seems a bit quiet on the forums, so I will jump in.

I have heard similar things about lead acid batteries, that they need the occasional deep discharge. I can't say if it is true, but as long as you don't over discharge any cell in the pack it is a good opportunity to check the capacity of your pack.
Greg Fordyce

Daewoo Matiz
http://www.evalbum.com/4191

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Must admit its a new one on me, I've never found Lead Acids having any such issue and I wouldnt ever like to take a Lead Acid down below about 1.8v-1.7v per cell

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

suzukishoes

Postby suzukishoes » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:00 am

Yes they do! If I run my G-Wiz for several weeks, doing 3-4 mile runs the overall distance I can travel, should I need a longer run is greatly reduced.

once a week I exercise my batteries by taking a longer run to flatten them off before charging & this aids overall distance.

Lee

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:46 pm

I wonder if its more the case the charger isnt carrying out a long enough equalisation charge if you just do a few shorter runs, also the chances are if the batteries are charged longer then they will heat up slightly more and thus deliver a bit more power.

I suspect if you warmed the batteries up by an external force then they would do the extra miles similar to giving them a longer discharge followed by a longer charge, Lead acids just cannot suffer from "memory effect " I'm pretty sure their chemical make up wont allow it.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “All things battery related”