British gas charging station yes or no

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
glyndwr1998

British gas charging station yes or no

Postby glyndwr1998 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi,

Got a prius with a self installed 4kwh Enginer lithium plug in kit, that is being upgraded shortly to 8kwh pis kit.

Have read that British gas will install a 16A home charging station for free, and for a small charge upgrade that to a 32A station, is there anything wrong with this?

Is this a good deal or is the devil in the small print, and should i beware. The charge station needs a O2 signal and my charging usage will be upliaded and monitored somewhere by someone for 3 years, after that i can do what i like with it.

What are your thoughts on this deal, deal or no deal.

Thanks, Anthony.

skooler

Re: British gas charging station yes or no

Postby skooler » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:56 am

I've got one, works perfectly and no gotchyas. Although the first thing I did was disable the network connectivity!
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Also, it is a station with a J1772 connector - is the charger in your car a smart type of charger that will accept this connection?

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi skooler, i was thinkoing the very same, although is there anyone monitoring these network connections, and realise that they have been disabled?

skooler wrote:I've got one, works perfectly and no gotchyas. Although the first thing I did was disable the network connectivity!

glyndwr1998

Postby glyndwr1998 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi mattcarr,

my charger has currently got a 13a standard plug, its only 5a at 240v, although i am in the process of upgrading using 5 48v meanwells in series. Is there a converter cable available?

Additionally, when i can afford it, i do intend to buy a leaf, maybe in another 2 years or sooner when they have dropped in value to around £7K, when they reach this type of level i will definately bu one.

The charger will be really useful then, so i was thinking get it installed now whilst its free and get the benefit of it when i get the car that can utilise it.

Looks like a call to british gas then to organise one.

Many thanks, Anthony.

mattcarr wrote:Also, it is a station with a J1772 connector - is the charger in your car a smart type of charger that will accept this connection?

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:00 pm

glyndwr1998 wrote:Hi skooler, i was thinkoing the very same, although is there anyone monitoring these network connections, and realise that they have been disabled?

skooler wrote:I've got one, works perfectly and no gotchyas. Although the first thing I did was disable the network connectivity!
One of the conditions of the grant is that you provide data to OLEV for three years... whether or not ayone will pursue you for the data is anyones guess :)
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Return to “All things battery related”