Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
User avatar
marcexec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby marcexec » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi guys,

some might know me from other forums on the topic, mostly ES. My EVMC build thread over there: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 12&t=35865

In the states there are regulary offers of new or used LEAF battery modules at very good prices, but shipping makes it unreasonable to get them over here.
As I figure this to be a mostly UK-based forum, I was wondering if any of you know of a source for these.
If someone would consider breaking a crashed LEAF, I'd be all ears - just not many of those here in Ireland and the breakers are not well organized...
Based in Dublin, Ireland.
My RF400 conversion thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35865

favguy
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby favguy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:41 am

Hi,

Copart auctions often have Leafs come up in the UK, they are tending to go for between £5K & £6.5K at present though, so unless you want the other parts, they're a bit too expensive for just the battery in my opinion.

If you are wanting a smaller number of leaf modules, these guys will sell you them for $109 each and ship them over here:

http://hybridautocenter.com/HAC4/index. ... Itemid=605

Regards, Paul

User avatar
marcexec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Re: Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby marcexec » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:43 pm

Cheers, contacted them.
Didn't know that they had those in stock again - even cheaper , too (125$->109$).
Based in Dublin, Ireland.
My RF400 conversion thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35865

favguy
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby favguy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:05 am

They are a bit naughty though, a batch I bought from them just turned up, 3 modules all in the same box, terminals not insulated, no class 8 hazardous label on the box and just marked as "Nissan Module" No mention of Lithium batteries!! So they are breaking all the shipping rules and the batteries are being flown airmail without the carrier knowing and in the event of damage/accident there is no indication for emergency services that lithium batteries are present! :shock:
Last edited by favguy on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattcarr
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 2:27 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby mattcarr » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:44 pm

and that is because if they marked them as hazardous goods it would be nigh on impossible to ship them and if they could it would be very expensive indeed.

User avatar
skooler
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby skooler » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 pm

mattcarr wrote:and that is because if they marked them as hazardous goods it would be nigh on impossible to ship them and if they could it would be very expensive indeed.


Completely incorrect.

I regularly ship lithium batteries (sea and air) to and from the US, EU and China.

All I am required to do to meet the Hazmat requirement is label the package appropriately and pay towards a hotline to be called in case of emergency. adds about £20 onto the cost of shipping the package with nothing declared.
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

User avatar
marcexec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Re: Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby marcexec » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:17 am

In any case I have ordered 12 modules and they are on the way in 3 packages.
They are supposedly declared as "Nissan Power Modules".
Will report back.
Based in Dublin, Ireland.
My RF400 conversion thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35865

User avatar
timpootle
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Chorlton-cum-Hardy, UK

Re: Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby timpootle » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:23 pm

favguy wrote:They are a bit naughty though, a batch I bought from them just turned up, 3 modules all in the same box, terminals not insulated, no class 8 hazardous label on the box and just marked as "Nissan Module" No mention of Lithium batteries!! So they are breaking all the shipping rules and the batteries are being flown airmail without the carrier knowing and in the event of damage/accident there is no indication for emergency services that lithium batteries are present! :shock:

More than a bit naughty. This thread gives me the shivers.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ValuJet_Flight_592
Tim Crumpton

User avatar
marcexec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Re: Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby marcexec » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:19 am

No lithium in that report, can see more relevance in the Dreamliner issues.

My modules arrived and shipping turned out not too expensive either, so 12 modules at my door for ~1200€ (note good exchange rate for US$ atm).
Pictures over at my ES thread. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thanks to favguy for the advice!
Based in Dublin, Ireland.
My RF400 conversion thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35865

glyndwr1998
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: Renault / Nissan LEAF battery modules in UK/EU?

Postby glyndwr1998 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi, what is the thread topic or link on the es forum, I'll check it out.

Thanks.


marcexec wrote:No lithium in that report, can see more relevance in the Dreamliner issues.

My modules arrived and shipping turned out not too expensive either, so 12 modules at my door for ~1200€ (note good exchange rate for US$ atm).
Pictures over at my ES thread. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thanks to favguy for the advice!


Return to “All things battery related”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests