Lithium Battery Life

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Rory166

Lithium Battery Life

Postby Rory166 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 am

There are some interesting lectures on lithium batteries on Youtube. I watched one on methods of testing that do not require full lifetime cycle testing. Why do Li-ion Batteries die ? and how to improve the situation? by professor Jeff Dahn. One small part of the lecture showed the shortening effect on lifetime of charging to higher voltages, this was very significant over 4V.

It seems the research is helping manufacturers decide which battery electrolyte formulations to take further into full lifecycle testing. It seems the measure of a good lithium battery is that it should return as near to 100% of the charge when discharged.

The lifetime of the battery is determined by the time spent at high charge voltage and high temperature. So keep your car cool and only charge to full when necessary.

He was particularly critical of the choice of Lithium Manganese by Nissan coupled with the lack of a liquid cooling system, Thankfully the UK is not a high ambient area.

I will probably watch again as I think there may be details I missed.

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

skooler

Re: Lithium Battery Life

Postby skooler » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:39 am

Rory166 wrote:There are some interesting lectures on lithium batteries on Youtube. I watched one on methods of testing that do not require full lifetime cycle testing. Why do Li-ion Batteries die ? and how to improve the situation? by professor Jeff Dahn. One small part of the lecture showed the shortening effect on lifetime of charging to higher voltages, this was very significant over 4V.

It seems the research is helping manufacturers decide which battery electrolyte formulations to take further into full lifecycle testing. It seems the measure of a good lithium battery is that it should return as near to 100% of the charge when discharged.

The lifetime of the battery is determined by the time spent at high charge voltage and high temperature. So keep your car cool and only charge to full when necessary.

He was particularly critical of the choice of Lithium Manganese by Nissan coupled with the lack of a liquid cooling system, Thankfully the UK is not a high ambient area.

I will probably watch again as I think there may be details I missed.

Rory

Interesting. I read somewhere that LiFePO4 is actually more efficient at higher temperatures (50ish degrees from memory). Might have been an EVTV blog.

Suggest looking into some of the Work that John Hardy is doing.

http://tovey-books.co.uk/
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

Return to “All things battery related”