ENOVA 12v Battery Charger

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
stainless

Re: ENOVA 12v Battery Charger

Postby stainless » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi Steve. Capacitors checked, but not their capacity ! Spikes should get absorbed I would have thought, still very odd and I wont rest until its virtually spike free. One other thought being the turn off time of the IGBT's ?? If too fast then I guess spikes would happen, but with no motor connected again that seems wrong....hmmm. Where are you based? I am in the North West near to Preston, albeit an ex-Londoner from many moons ago for my sins. Still nowt from the DVLA, they like to keep me in suspense, may have to fall back on my spider infested Reliant Kitten if I get a NO from them again. Kitty is already an EV registered car from 20 years ago. Has a massive series wound Morrisons Electricar motor from a milk float in it, 72v nominal and 400A continuous, 12 brushes on the commutator so would take much more juice if needed. Torque is mind blowing even at 72v from standstill and direct coupled to diff too. Down side being max revs, only around 1750 ish, I guess comm segments would detach if revved a lot more. Thats a tempting thought, need to see what off load revs I get at 12v and maybe do some spin ups to see if it can go faster without tearing itself to pieces. All the best. Peter

esbro

Postby esbro » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi Peter, You say no motor connected ?? Well that scuppers my next idea - how is motor connected Star or delta - it is 3ph ac ? how may wires 3 or 4 ?
I'm about a mile from J18 M1 (near Rugby). I'm quite often up your way visiting my daughter in Newton le Willows.

I've been asking around as to what happens when a) you disconnect the 12v battery from the car - does everything reset ? b) what kind of error msgs show up once you've removed the engine - does it light up like a Christmas tree ? if so how to fix.
Maybe some larger wheels/tyres for the Kitten ? Different ratio axle ? Both ? - that's a h-e-a-v-y motor for a tiny car.
My motor is now on the bench - soon to be (I hope) test bench. Rated revs 9000 max, but I reckon I'll limit to 6000. (It fits to a diesel g/box).

ATB .... Steve

stainless

Postby stainless » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi Steve. Not sure if the car your talking about will have a comms system, such as CAN bus. I guess if its an issue you could always remove the annoying warning light lamps :-) The ecu will probably be redundant although I removed things and checked what functions were still working as I went, easy to reverse if needed. Are you still thinking of using the DC/DC converter from the Enova system ? If so I have been reading a write up on the forum which shows the relevant signals to connect to get it working. Not tried it yet but will do over weekend. Another day passes and no news from DVLA, getting nervous now ! As to my 'spikey' issue I am going to try a test over the weekend where I totally isolate the encoder supply and signal pulses and feed the pulses into the inverter via an opto-coupler, fingers crossed. Wish I had an AC Curtis unit just to use for now, the 144v version is way too expensive though. All the best. Peter

esbro

Postby esbro » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi Peter, My car (B200) definitely has canbus - that's what worries me. The ECU might be redundant, but a lot of safety bits feed into it, so have got to keep it around. Yes I'm using the power side of the enova system but using Johannes Heubner's kit to drive it. Interesting to find out about signals to run existing system - bit late for me though cos I've bought the "kit". Nooooo, you don't need a Curtis - this one's going to work. Just keep your rubber gloves and wellies on :D . do you think the problem is on 1 part of the inverter, as there's half the output voltage on the heatsink ?
I might try to get my batteries before Brexit as the pound could fall against US$ afterwards. I'll try my damdest to get as many kwh as I can - 40 kwh would be nice :) . The NMC type look interesting as they've got 3.6v per cell, that means less cells per kwh - less weight, less cash, less room. I'm not far from you tonight (at Newton) N.Wales tomorrow.
Will post again when I get home. Good luck with "spikeys" and be careful charcoal fingers are messy. ATB .... Steve

stainless

Postby stainless » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi Steve. Hope your journey is/was ok, very windy and lots of rain 'Up North' so drive safe. As to the Combi board, been reading about all the bits and bobs on the 'AC controller' forum pages of Johannes and Damien, seems to be a lot of talk about software versions and mods for resolvers and op amps and I cant find any talk about encoders, hmmm ! But, did read about 'ground bounce' which is all about noise and spikes, do this and that with shielding, could be my issue? Followed a Link to Eric Tischers website where he is using an industry standard motor drive control board and coupling that to his power stages. Its been working fine once the simple bugs of his build were sorted. I think as a test I might just invest in a 1ph to 3ph inverter from Ebay and have a go at that method. As I have been a maintenance electrician for a number of years I have used many inverter drives in machine builds so its not too scary an idea. Plus all the bugs are sorted and its simple enough to use the built in parameter control unit. Also no need for feedback in sensorless mode, or similar. Talking myself into this by the sound of it ! Would be worth a playtime for £100 and if you/I experience issues we would have a back up method of control and testing if I get this idea to work :-) Anyway this weekends test is to isolate the encoder signal as planned and see if that works. And/or spend the £100 as mentioned above :-) Guess what I got from the DVLA ???... Nowt, still waiting :-( All the best. Peter

stainless

Postby stainless » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi Steve. Hope you are ok, not heard from you since your trip 'Up North', hope you didnt get stuck at Passport Control on the M6 :-) I have some good news.... reg document came back from DVLA, they have allowed fuel change to electric, thats one major hurdle sorted. Only need my inverter to work now and its full steam ahead towards the MOT and paying insurance after that. Keep in touch. Peter

esbro

Postby esbro » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Hey Well Done there ! 1 down several to go ?
Good luck with research on inverters :)
ATB ...Steve

Return to “All things battery related”