Cheap LiFePO4 Batteries on Ebay

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
jisco

Cheap LiFePO4 Batteries on Ebay

Postby jisco » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:20 pm

There's a new eBay shop selling LiFePO4 Batteries for eBikes.
Check it out, going really cheap:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PingBattery

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi Jisco

A number of ebike builders in the states have bought similar-looking packs from a Chinese seller with the same name – Ping.

The good news is that Ping has answered buyers' questions, the packs have been delivered and they've been found to work. Unfortunately no-one has thoroughly tested one of these packs yet as far as I know, so cycle life is a complete unknown.

You probably already know that there are many different grades of LiFePO4 cells. There are a lot of low-grade cells starting to come out of China that don't perform anywhere near as well as the best cells. The quality of BMS and chargers supplied with low-end packs has also proven to be variable to say the least.

These particular cells could be good, but the maximum power output of 600W quoted for the 36V 10AH packs doesn't put them anywhere near the best in terms of discharge rate. (It could be perfectly adequate if you have modest power requirements though).
The fact that they're wrapped up in duct tape obviously makes it difficult to assess the quality of workmanship, but doesn't really suggest the manufacturer is proud of his work.

All I'm trying to say is it's definitely a case of buyer beware, but if you feel like being a guinea pig I'd love to hear how you get on. :)

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:37 pm

Heh, I just came here to start this thread and someone's done it for me!

Pingping does seem genuine, but I've noticed the batts are a bit on the cheep side. D'ya think they'd extend the range of my elderly Sakura at all?

retepsnikrep

Good Reports

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:56 am

Seems like this supplier has a number of good reports. 8) Also has excellent e-bay feedback so far :wink:

Some very extensive discussion on this interesting forum about it.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... =14&t=2931

Might try some myself if TS price is too high and build up a 144v 50ah pack. :?
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:26 am

Yes, since I made my post above I've heard nothing but good reports about packs bought from Ping. He goes out of his way to make sure that customers are pleased with his products. This doesn't always apply to the 'duct tape packs' that are sold by other ebay sellers.

GregsGarage

Re: Good Reports

Postby GregsGarage » Thu May 01, 2008 7:05 pm

retepsnikrep wrote:
Some very extensive discussion on this interesting forum about it.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... =14&t=2931

Might try some myself if TS price is too high and build up a 144v 50ah pack. :?

When you said very extensive discussion you could have warned us that the thread is 64 pages long! :shock:

I have one of his 24v 10ah packs that I fitted to an old scooter that was sitting at the back of the garage. Big improvement over the pb batteries that were in it.

Greg

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Thu May 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Brilliant- please keep us up to date, I just spent £125 on more lead-acids, if I can switch to Lithium for about the same price I'll do it.

Personally I don't like the risk, even if they guy's on the level all it takes is one screw-up and you've lost a load of cash, what with the supplier being in China and all...
34 Watt Hours per mile, or > 700 MPG. What, me, smug?

Return to “All things battery related”