Tesla on Top Gear

Got a hot news story concerning EV's, be it on the TV, Radio or seen it in the press, then share it with us here.
bobc

Tesla on Top Gear

Postby bobc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Surprised no-one has brought this up yet, the battery car did very well - went like stink & did 55 miles of "track" driving before the batts were flat.
The presenters complained it therefore wouldn't go from lands end to john o groats non- stop (after all that's what we'd all use it for......), otherwise nice to see the much- hyped wee thing in action!

MB

Postby MB » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:45 am

They have - it's in the 'Electric Vehicles on Top Gear' thread.
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

alexcraiggtv

top gear

Postby alexcraiggtv » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Jeremy Clarkson is so full of *please do not swear* regarding the tesla. I read a thread somewhere (cant blooming think where now) where the Tesla guy who brought the cars over to Top Gear made a comment in response to JC's findings. He said Not at any time did either of the Tesla's run out of juice on that day. JC also said it ran out of juice after 55 miles around their circuit, well even if that was true Im sure you would get a MASSIVE reduction in MPG on a good diesel powered car if you thrashed it around the track constantly, so whats his point?
JC also said that the 1st (silver) cars brakes 'broke' while it was being charged, this was a fuse which was replaced within minutes, so really he's so far full of the brown stuff its unreal.
He is only interested in big V8 petrol cars that do 15 to the gallon. God job he is'nt running for Prime Minister eh? But the thing is, coz he's on TV people listen to him. Really its a shame he is a t*t as he could have a big influence on people about green cars if he cared and wasnt shallow. Sorry for the rant ppl. :roll:

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:01 am

Lets be honest. How many people here are going to buy a Tesla? Furthermore how many buy any of the vehicles they test on TG? Everyone knows it's become an entertainment show. If you want to know something serious about a car you don't go to Top Gear to find out about it

His point about running out of power is that it takes hours to charge up regardless of how many hours it is it's not 3 minutes. Like it or lump it that's always a bone of contention with the public and always will be. If it's not JC going on about it you can absolutely guarantee every car sales man on the planet will be pointing it out to their customers when EVs really start getting competitive.

If you want to have a rant why not have a rant about the bull we keep getting told by manufacturers about their range and speeds. This sort of bull does far more damage to people's opinions on EVs and only reinforces what JC was saying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti EVs, on the contrary I'm very Pro EV I'm even building them, That's how Pro I am but I try to be a realist and I know the world's not a fluffy place full of people who delight in poking holes in what you do particularly if it's different. It's the easiest thing for them to do after all, there's safety in numbers.

Jon Fray

Tesla you say?

Postby Jon Fray » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:23 am

Return to “Hot off the press....”