Lard Removal

Do you own or use or want to build a assisted bike then here is the place for you.
retepsnikrep

Lard Removal

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:17 am

In an effort to get a bit fitter I have just converted by bike to electric assistance and intend doing by 13mile each way commute to work with it over the coming months.

I've done the 13 miles before but it was just too far unassisted to arruive knackerd and sweaty.

I went for a kit from www.Alienocean.co.uk

Seems reasonable with a minor quality issue with connections and has a 10ah 36v lithium battery. £420 all in.

I'll report back later but seems to drive me (at least 18 stone) at 15mph, tops out at about 16-17mph so reasonably legal allowing some tolerance for controller error, speedo error etc.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Nice one, have you any pics of the convertion you did.

Seems too cheap considering it encludes a 10ah Li-ion pack and charger too :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

microman

Postby microman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:57 am

I bought the Cruiser (top centre picture on his home page) from him last year with the 10AHr pack complete for £520. Some quality issues with the controller box and I had to screw the preset up to get the right speed. The supplied controller hard limits at a little over 10A so hill climbing is not so good as my previous NiCd one and the pack capacity seems down at the moment - but that may be the near 0 temperatures we've had recently.

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:50 am

Worth talking to Martin? at Team Hybrid too Mentioned in Plugged In on the visit to Steve Labib's Jozzbike workshop day in Brighton.

http://www.teamhybrid.co.uk/

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:09 pm

If my experience a year or so ago is anything to go by, you may not hear anything from Team Hybrid for weeks. They seem to be spectacularly bad at communicating - I ended up buying parts from Canada and China directly as it was actually quicker (and a lot cheaper).

Jeremy

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:16 am

hmmm that's a shame Jeremy. I spoke to him a few times obviously and never had any problems. Though I've not bought anything directly yet from them. I know he lost a key member of staff a while ago so maybe that had something to do with it? :(

floydster
Site Staff

Re: Lard Removal

Postby floydster » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 am

retepsnikrep wrote:I went for a kit from www.Alienocean.co.uk

Looking forward to hearing how you get on. They were advertising a kit in the March edition of Cycling Plus for £399 that I was thinking of sticking on an old Hardrock that I have lying around.

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Well after getting a flat tyre before I even got it out of the shed the other day :cry: I did a 13 mile test jaunt today.

Battery still holding up at the end, I was pedaling all the time and used the assist to cope with the hills and headwind. 8)

I'll try a work commute on Sunday as I'm days. 13 miles each way. Recharge it at work.

Need to get some cycle clips and a pair of clear cycling glasses/sunglasses.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:05 am

Peter good luck but PLEASE DON'T post up photos of you mpg you get on it! ;)

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:50 pm

Seriously thinking about buying this kit to convert an old bike for my OH to use. A couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to on the web site: -

Do you need to fit the brake levers or can you simply throttle back?

Is it quiet? She'll have a dog running along side and won't want to "freak him out"

Thanks,

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

Return to “Electrically assisted bikes”