Maximum power a Zoe/Kangoo can take from single phase

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
arsharpe

Maximum power a Zoe/Kangoo can take from single phase

Postby arsharpe » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi,

I have a potential customer that is probably located at a single phase building but needs fast charging.

It has not been possible to find the absolute maximum power a Zoe/Kangoo can draw on single phase. The most I have seen is 32A (7kw) but if it can draw 44kw from 3 phase then I would assume (having not paid attention to my power machines lectures) that it may be able to draw around 15kw (44/3) from a single phase supply.

Can anyone more informed than me help with this?

Rob

Rory166

Re: Maximum power a Zoe/Kangoo can take from single phase

Postby Rory166 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi Rob

I was looking at this recently. See https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevorev/8017034940/

My conclusion was that only the Zoe has the chameleon system and no evidence that the Kangoo has it. This was disappointing as it was a Kangoo that interested me. I think the Zoe is a more recent launch. Lets hope the Kangoo gets it in the future. I also dislike the compulsory battery lease, which is why I drive a Leaf when I can although most of the time my son uses it. Being as Renault and Nissan are the same company it does seem odd that they use such different solutions.

As you can see from the link the 22 KW charge is 3 phase. It does seem strange that 63 A single phase is not one of the options as, at first sight, it would appear to be technically feasible. One aspect which may be relevant is three phase rectification, this produces a much smoother waveform than single phase and may be one reason why 3 phase is needed for high power charging as the alternative would be massive capacitor banks.

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”